Author Topic: Solids causing horrible sleep  (Read 4810 times)

Offline Mandy.kamal

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« on: August 08, 2016, 09:48:47 am »
I've tried solids on and off for 2 months. Each time I give solids her sleep is horrible!!! Like waking at night like a newborn. She has been waking up screaming.

When I stop solids, she goes back to sleeping. She's 6 months and loves solids and so interested in eating. I feel horrible but want to stop again.

Anyone else had this issue? What do I do?

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Re: Solids causing horrible sleep
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 10:02:06 am »
My DS1's sleep was horrid after eating any orange foods - Pumpkin, sweet Potato & carrot basically. So I avoided them & found it was better. Have you got a food diary of any in particular that you have offered because you might be able to find what the issue is.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 10:16:04 am »
If she's only 6 months now it could be she wasn't ready when you started? What age did you start weaning?

Could you do just breakfast so it is less likely to annoy night sleep?  When I started wesning my DD2 I found dairy really really upset her tummy.

Offline Mandy.kamal

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 11:57:15 am »
I started at 4 months as suggested by her ped bc she has reflux.
I've only done sweet potatoes, avocado and peaches

She wakes up every hour or so screaming. I've tried off and on a few times in 2 months and happens every time.

If I only give it to her in the morning she does a little better but not always. It usually affects all sleep.

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 12:05:11 pm »
Our lo are same I think 6.5 months, we did baby porridge at breaki for a couple of weeks and I avoid acid fruits as mine has reflux too. Often find he does well with some plain natural yoghurt for tea or with a little banana in it, seems to settle tummy x
Zoe

Offline Mandy.kamal

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 12:21:41 pm »
Thank you! X

So did you all just keep at it until they got used to it? It's torture!

I've tried rice cereal and that plugged her up a bit. Very ripe bananas seemed okay for her. I'm scared to try any dairy- I cut it out of my diet when she was only a couple months old and so she hasn't had any diary through her milk yet.

I feel bad- she loves solids and eating. Don't know if I should stop and try again or keep at it with different foods

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2016, 14:03:01 pm »
What about trying other root veg like parsnips they are sweet?
Zoe

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2016, 17:57:02 pm »
It looks like you haven't tried any carbsy foods such as toast fingers or pasta twists or protein foods such as meat/fish, they might go down better?
I avoided fruit in the evening for my silent refluxer.  But if you've only tried a few foods they might be the ones that don't suit your LO. It's hard and slow to trial different foods but it may be the only way forward.

The other thing to ensure when trying solids is that she is not thirsty (offer water with solids or BF during/straight after even if it is not E time) and that her milk intake doesn't drop. If she eats too much solids in one go she might end up missing out on her milk (from being too full) and then wake in the night wanting milk.

As Shiv said, trying at breakfast only may help.
You could also do some tummy rubbing and leg pumping to get wind out before you put her down for naps - I used to do this for my DS, he'd literally pass wind with every leg pump!  I lay him down on his back and gently lifted one leg up towards his shoulder, then the other then both, combined with rubbing gently in a clockwise direction on the tummy to get wind through.  That might help with sleep.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 17:59:06 pm by creations »

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2016, 18:08:23 pm »
Sweet potato bunged Olly up too so we had to keep off that till he was nearer 1 I think.

Offline Mandy.kamal

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2016, 00:26:54 am »
You wonderful ladies. Thank you.

I didn't give her any solids today. I wanted to only do breastmilk to see if that'll help with tonight. She napped amazing so fingers crossed.

So what's a safe food to try?
I'll try parsnips. Anything else?

As far as finger foods- I was worried her bites would be too big leaving her tummy with larger pieces to digest; causes more issues.

I gave her some thin, rice teething wafers. She loves, loves them but those cause the worst issues and hurt her sleep the absolute worst.

Mashed peas maybe? Avocados mashed up hasn't settled well for her either. Tempted to stop for another couple weeks again. Thoughts?

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2016, 07:12:27 am »
There's no harm stopping for a couple of weeks and trying again.

FWIW my DS couldn't eat rice. Any kind of rice made him vomit which surprised me as I thought it was one of the safest foods but the thing with reactions is it can be anything, it's so individual.
I would try some toasted pitta bread so that it's quite dry like the rice wafers and let her gum and munch on a finger of it.  She would just spit out any big bits.
Or how about white potato wedges, oven baked wedges are dry on the outside but soft inside and easy to pick up for finger food.
Plain pasta is a good finger food.  Large chunks of roasted meat big enough to hold and gum and suck on.

Offline Mandy.kamal

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2016, 17:11:23 pm »
Thank you so much! She has her 6 month ped appointment this Thursday so I'm holding off until then at least. Then I'll try your suggestions- they sound great. Xx

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2016, 19:41:35 pm »
We had disturbed nights at first with solids, but they eased off within a month. Once you're sure she's ready it might just be worth going for it.

Favourite first foods here were cucumber batons (cool on the gums), baby sweet corn and plain Greek yogurt.
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline Mandy.kamal

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2016, 00:09:51 am »
Ooooh great idea! Cucumber batons sounds perfect! What about carrot sticks? Too crunchy?
Did you purée the corn?

As far as BLW goes- I'm worried about choking on larger pieces of thing bitten off. Is that unlikely?

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2016, 06:10:16 am »
If you read the book (Gill Rapley is the author), then it puts your mind at ease.

Carrots and other steamed veg need to be soft enough to suck some of the taste off. Baby corn is great for this as tiny bits come off! I have puréed nothing this time, it's very liberating.

I've got a thread called preparing for weaning where I linked lots of recipes for more complex foods, if that helps?
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015