Author Topic: Gagging on any lump  (Read 4604 times)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Gagging on any lump
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2016, 12:49:24 pm »
With the veg fingers do they need to kind of dissolve when they gum them?
root veg will need to be cooked so that a fork goes right through easily rather than al dente I would say, just to avoid any harder bits, but it is not vital, with finger foods often they will just avoid or spit out the bits they don't like.
Mine really liked steamed asparagus, then green beans, they certainly do not dissolve when gummed but can be gnawed and sucked and generally stay enough together for LO to have a good go at them pulping them up before they try to swallow.  Sugar snaps and mange tout were harder and he still struggles at times now with them, there is a long stringy bit which can cause DS to gag at 5yo unless we remove it or cut it up into smaller pieces (which is then not really the sort of finger food you want for a 6 month old as it is more of a bit than a wedge).  Most kids seem to like chips - we oven bake various veg into "chips" which are great finger food (or potato wedges with skins left on)
You could try cooked apple or pear instead?
Apples are supposed to be brilliant for reflux although I thought they were quite acidic but it was more recently I discovered they are supposed to be good.

Mine couldn't have coped with dropping reflux meds at 6 months even though he was big on solids. I hope it doesn't cause any further problems.

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2016, 16:53:59 pm »
Thanks some great suggestions  :)

Weaning is exciting but yes coming of meds scares me, we are dropping the dose rather than cold turkey as paed suggested and GP is supporting us, so by time we give it up totally he should be about 9 months.
Zoe

Offline creations

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2016, 18:00:21 pm »
Sorry you prob already worked out how you want to proceed with meds wean and possibly had another thread but if it's ranitidine you are dropping I would suggest dropping a whole dose (if you do 2 per day now to drop to 1 per day) rather than a reduction in each dose, it's just from my experience plus what I read plus advice here, a slow wean of Ran doesn't work very well.

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2016, 18:06:09 pm »
No it's omeprazole and gp said there is no evidence either way but others have said you can get acid rebound.
Zoe

Offline creations

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2016, 18:14:24 pm »
Ah ok. I think I read omeprazole is easier on a slow wean but can't be sure. The rebound certainly comes with the Ran though.

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2016, 19:18:35 pm »
Hate reflux....I've halved his dose over the last month by 0.5 ml every 2 weeks and I think we get a few days of slight rebound but he copes ok then it settles.

I'm avoiding acid type foods and some fruit purée haven't been great but nothing as bad as I thought x
Zoe