Author Topic: 6.5mo blw but afraid of choking?  (Read 1583 times)

Offline donegalciara

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 27, 2016, 11:24:34 am »
Hi everyone,
My lb is 6.5mo and has been on solids from 5 mo as per dr advice due to being underweight (bad reflux and refusing bottles) however, he point blank refuses veg of any description and I can only just manage to get some baby cereal or Apple/pear into him with some powerful distraction techniques!!! I've been looking into the baby led weaning approach but I'm quite nervous of it. This is my second and my eldest took to her purées and food like a duck to water, so this is new territory for me. My lb gets excited at dinner time and watches what everyone's eating like a hawk but refuses his purée. My concern is if he's able to follow the baby led approach firstly but moreover I'm absolutely terrified of him choking. I have tried him on a small chunk of banana which he seemed to like but I don't know where to go from here. Can anyone advise? Thank you

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: 6.5mo blw but afraid of choking?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 18:13:11 pm »
Hi, welcome back to BW :)

Have you seen this information here:
Information on choking and gagging

There was a terribly sad news report around the time I was BLW with my DS, about a LO who choked on more traditional puree style food whilst at day care.  I think the thing is that they can choke on anything, even tiny bits and purees, I actually felt more confident handing my DS a big wedge of food than I did a small amount of something.  I had a bit of a scare when I fed DS a big chunk of kiwi and after serving it to him on his tray I licked my finger where there was the tiniest slither of kiwi ever, about the size of a grain of rice, well, it caught in my throat and I was hacking and coughing, fighting for air for several minutes - not full on choking of course, I was getting a bit of air in but it didn't feel like enough air to give myself a good hard cough to get the bit away from my wind pipe.  That experience really scared me but my DS happily chomped away at the big bit of kiwi and was totally fine.

Perhaps you can look for a paediatric first aid course near where you live? These are really useful anyway and you could learn what to do in the event of a choke which might help with your confidence.