Author Topic: Mornings getting earlier.  (Read 1993 times)

Offline choc

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« on: August 28, 2016, 06:53:17 am »
1 month ago ds2 was sleeping 12 hours at night. His easy looked a bit like this
22nd
Wu 6
S 10 to 11
S 2.30 to 3. 45
Bt 7 20
Wu 7.20

23rd
Wu 7 20
S 10 to 11.10
S 2.40 to 3.30 buggy
Bt 7.15
Wu 7.20

The first nap is at nursery the second nap at home with me.  I was worried that the 2nd nap was short so when the school holidays started (and he was with me full time, no nursery til 1st September) I cut the first nap to 30 mins to get a long second nap. It worked well to extend second nap but wake ups got earlier in the morning.  It looked like this

2nd
Oob 7.20
S 9.45 to 10.15
S 1.15 to 3.15
Bt 7.30
Wu 5ish?
Wu 7.10

3rd
Wu 7.10
S 9.45 to 10.15
S 1.15 to 3.15
Bt 7.15
Wu 6

Then second nap started to shorten so I thought we are in 2:1 territory and cut morning nap to 15 mins, it worked again to get longer 2nd nap

21st
Wu 6.30
S 10 to. 10.15
S 1 to 3
Bt 7.30
Wu 5.30 on and off til
Wu 6.30

22nd
Wu 6.30
S 10 to 10.15
S 1 to 3
Bt 7.15
Wu 3.30 on and off
Wu 7.10

23rd
Wu 7.10
S 10 to 10.15
S 1 to 3
Bt 7.15 took a while to drop off nearer 7.30
Wu 12.30
Wu 6

This is where we are now. As you can see some early wake ups where sometimes he drops back off and sometimes not.

I would like to drop the catnap really but I pick him up from nursery at 12.30 so when he goes to 1 nap he will have to wait til 1pm! I have no idea how I will manage that, especially with the early starts.

Any advice, should I just carry on  as we are and put up with the early wu's?  And how will I ever get to 1 nap with a 1pm start?!
Gemma

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Mornings getting earlier.
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 07:53:29 am »
What time do nursery nap the LOs? Is it a set time for a set length or are you able to have some say over what time and for how long? All nurseries are different, I would think you need to take this into account when planning a routine.

Offline choc

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 08:03:12 am »
They can sleep whenever they like at nursery. I had been asking them to do 10 til 11 when he was there in July (summer hols at the moment) but because he has to be up by 3pm from his second nap, he wasn't really having a long one as A time between the naps was too short.

I collect him around 12.30 from nursery and then have school run at 3pm.
Gemma

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2016, 08:55:03 am »
I wonder then, when you drop the CN if you can ask nursery to start off a longer nap?  Would it be practical to pick up mid nap for instance if LO was put to nap in the stroller or car seat?

Offline choc

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2016, 09:06:23 am »
Unfortunately he is not in that sort of car seat that is taken out of the car and carried. He has never slept long in the car or been transferable anyway. His nursery room is up a huge flight of Stairs too so no buggy, and we come in the car.
Thanks for the suggestions though, I appreciate it.  I don't think there is going to be a way round it to be honest!
Gemma

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2016, 09:23:49 am »
Hmm... the other way around it is to hold on to the routine you have now for as long as possible so he can have a chance to get older and more able to cope with the 1pm single nap day.  The routine now appears he is self regulating his sleep by sometimes waking earlier and sometimes later and with the little CN at a set time. This looks good although not necessarily nice for you to have the uncertain wake up time.

When he is older you could then move his day on as much as you can with a later BT, later morning CN and then on a day when he wakes later (rather than earlier) in the morning you take the leap to one nap. With the morning WU as late as you can get it (obviously you need to get out to nursery etc) you could then drop than little CN and move to the 1pm nap.  You might find he just nods off in the car seat at 12.30 pick up and you might need to transfer to the cot at home, mine did eventually agree to being transferred from car to house mid nap.  I would begin talking to him before touching him and keep up the chat the whole way inside and up the stairs (I used a sling as I had a fair walk from the car then 3 flights to climb to get to his bedroom), beginning with "I'm going to pick you up now, stay asleep, everything is okay, it's just mummy, I'm taking you to bed" continuing with "okay okay, I'm taking you to bed, stay asleep" and when we got there "I'm going to put you in your bed now so you can sleep properly, everything is okay, sleepy time, night night, call if you need me" . He half stirred a few times, nuzzling on my chest in the sling and then would snuggle into his bed so I know it wasn't a deep sleep but he did finish a 2hr nap this way.

Sorry not to be of more help for you!

Offline choc

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2016, 12:08:23 pm »
I think that is good advice, thanks. I just have to hope he continues being ok with these timings for a while. If he starts shortening his 2nd nap, how short do I let it go before dropping catnap?
Do you think once we do eventually drop cn (however far down the line that is) that it will sort out out wakeup to later and more consistent time in the morning?
Gemma

Offline choc

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2016, 13:39:52 pm »
Ah jinxed it, 1hr30 nap!
Gemma

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2016, 16:00:53 pm »
With some LOs it's possible for them to self regulate sleep by taking a shorter nap one day and a longer the next, it depends what sort of character your LO has really.  I've seen some with a little CN and doing a 1hr nap and a longer night.

I suppose another option might be a short CN but a bit later in the morning and then a proper nap at home for say 1.5 hrs almost like one broken nap??

Offline choc

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2016, 16:03:02 pm »
I think that might be what ends up happening.  I think I will eventually (and possibly not too far off) only get a 1hr30 pm nap from him if he has had cn at nursery.
Makes it more frustrating that I can't get to 1 nap easily!

I suppose there is nothing more I can do about the EW but hope it sorts itself when on 1 nap.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 16:46:27 pm by choc »
Gemma

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2016, 16:49:38 pm »
I doubt this will be any consolation for you but the drop to 1 nap was our worst, hellish tbh and that was with no nursery or school runs to work around I could just nap him whenever I wanted and still it was awful - you could actually end up with a much easier transition despite the apparent difficulties of fitting around pick ups and drop offs.

Offline choc

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2016, 17:03:08 pm »
Thanks, I hope you are right! It was pretty bad with my first but I didn't realise we were in 2:1 til it was way too late! I was prepared this time.
Thanks for the advice x
Gemma

Offline choc

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2016, 18:48:36 pm »
Just reading back through and have another question about when we move to one nap. You suggested that on a day when  he has a later morning wu make the move to 1 nap. Funnily enough the other day he randomly slept til 8am so I went for 1 nap as didn't think I'd fit in 2. He slept 1 to 3.15 and bed at 7.15, which was great. But then he woke at 5.40 on and off til 6.30 the next morning. So didn't dare go for it again! What do I do if that happens when I am actually intending to go for 1 nap? Do I still stick with it as it has to be a set nap even though he woke early?
Gemma

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2016, 06:45:23 am »
I'd probably wait as long as you can and hope he's a bit older and can manage the times better plus do an earlier night.
Even with a short CN and only an hour nap it's likely easier to get through the day than on only 1 nap.  YK, I'm sure on the EASY samples I've seen 2 x 1hr naps working... am going to go and have a hunt

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2016, 06:56:27 am »
See on this link at 11 months there is a sample of a routine with 2 naps, 1 of 1hr 20 and the other 30 mins
chronological EASY samples, 10-12 months
there are also a couple of 2 naps with each nap being 1hr to 1hr 15

Some people alternate with 2 nap and 1 nap days, that might be an option especially if you get an early morning WU after a 1 nap day, bit of OT causing that and need to get through a longer day and ward off further OT.  Mine didn't like his days changing so would haven't gone for alternating days but some  are great with it. Have you see this too?
Chronological EASY samples, 13+ months
I see in the alternating naps section there is a 2 nap day with a 30 min nap in the morning and a 1hr nap in the afternoon and then the next day it's just one nap 2hr long.

I know on the boards we all talk about 1.5hr naps being restorative but I think when you are going through the 2-1 transition and LO needs 2 naps but there isn't the time in the day for long naps then the 1hr nap is okay.