Author Topic: BLW? How and what to introduce  (Read 2873 times)

Offline FPT23

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 18
BLW? How and what to introduce
« on: September 24, 2016, 04:14:05 am »
Hi y'all!

My LO is 7mths and he's been having purees for a bit now. He LOVES food... and I'm getting more and more inclined to just offer him bite sized options... or BLW.

I know technically it wouldn't be BLW anymroe since we've been on purees but, tbh I'm intimidated by the whole idea although had initially wanted to pursue the BLW route. I've read they don't really know or learn how to get the "chewing" down until around this time; or being able to move the jaw up and down to break down foods.

What are some suggestions for a very HUNGRY baby who I think is ready for more and go beyond the purée phase?

Truth be told, anytime we eat he's grunting wanting all our food. If I eat or take a sip, he just opens his mouth wide open. Super adorable and hilarious ;D ....one occasion I had left over quinoa and he went to town! Mostly playing but was eating it and putting in his mouth and it was ok!

So, suggestions? :)

Xo
Fabi

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Re: BLW? How and what to introduce
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2016, 06:48:02 am »
This was a great link creations found for me Finger Foods (6 months+)

Zoe

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2016, 06:52:34 am »
It think if you feel concerned about introducing finger foods a paediatric first aid course can be very helpful so you have some information and guidance on what to do if LO chokes.  Many people respond the wrong way, trying to poke food out of the mouth or hitting LO on the back whilst they are in the upright position, both of which can cause the choke to be worse.
It can be nerve racking but I felt much more prepared after the first aid course and i only managed to sit a couple of hours of it.

My bigger fear was always the small bite sized pieces rather than the big wedges or fingers of food. The little pieces are so much harder to manipulate in the hand and mouth where as LO can get a better grip on a large piece and keep hold of it whilst they gum at it.  If you think in terms of non-food items it's the small toys/buttons/beads that are more of a choke hazard for babies rather than the big toys.

It's advised that finger foods are started in a timely manner (I'd start right away) as it has great benefit for various developments including fine motor and language, hand eye co-ordination etc and introduces LO to the 'real' textures of food and the regular family meals which is supposed to reduce difficulties later on.

There are lots of ideas on the recipe board:
Finger Foods (6 months+)

In terms of a very hungry baby, it could be that introducing more protein would satisfy him, maybe eggs fritata or omelet, mine liked pancakes and little bean burgers/fritters/falafel.  or it could be that he feels more satisfied with self feeding although not necessarily eat more.  Don't forget you don't want the milk intake to drop yet.

I did make batches of mini foods for DS to have ready for snacks and meals out and about but I also gave him the same as I was eating. I didn't use salt, sugar or honey in my cooking, reduced spices, no stock cubes (salt) etc but other than that it was 'normal' family food.  Other changes I made were things like cooking spiralli pasta rather than penne as the twists are easier to grip, chopping stew veg into big chunks instead of small diced pieces so he had something big to get hold of.

Posted with haribo - thanks for paying it forward :)

Offline FPT23

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2016, 13:58:52 pm »
Thanks Haribo2012!!!

Yes thank you Creations. I think it's more of a self feeding thing he enjoys... we eat very healthy around here with minimal salts and more so dry spices, rice pastas, plenty of chicken and fish.

I do have a certification in that actually here in the states :) but it's still nerve wrecking! Haha! How do you go about with the first foods? Sizing and softness? He's not ready by any means I think for actual foods to chew. I always give him some of our food and he acts funny having "pieces" in his mouth- it's cute! Like "what is this" ...but he doesn't know how to chew yet, kwim? Physically incapable at this stage so I'm not sure if I'm jumping the gun.

I think he really wants to self feed or just extremely curious! Beyond curious! Haha! An obsession! ;D

I will look into that link but I guess I don't know where and how to start ???
Fabi

Offline creations

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2016, 06:40:08 am »
Information on choking and gagging
Spoon Refusal and Finger Food Tips
Baby-Led Weaning

Maybe some of these links will help you?

There is info their on first foods and texture, size etc of pieces.  The information is from various sources and from various experiences and some suggests smaller chunks or pieces, and soft enough so that if you put it in your own mouth you can mash it between your tongue and the roof of your mouth, however I did not go for small chunks - personally I feel these are far harder to pick up and self feed and are more of a choke hazard - LOs gums are much harder than our tongues, they are really quite robust and can gum at and suck away on pretty hard foods such as large chunks of meat which you would never be able to mush between your tongue and roof of your mouth.

If you already don't use salt in cooking then I'd probably just go for offering some of your own meal. Large wedges, fingers the size of an adult finger as an approximate size.  Steamed or roasted veg are often good starters.  Some people like to offer plain pasta as it's just easier to pick up but it's up to you.  I introduced a fork at about 7 months which helped greatly on the more slippery foods.

Chewing just comes, he will be manipulating the food in his mouth, moving it around and bringing it back out if it is too big to swallow.  I don't think you are jumping the gun, even the traditional puree route of weaning suggests LOs should be starting finger foods around 6 months - they do not have to 'eat' a lot of it, but the skill of manipulating food comes with practise rather than suddenly developing independently one day, this is why guidance is to introduce finger foods in a timely manner for good development.

if you feel nervous perhaps a refresher course in baby first aid?
The thing is, babies choke on purée and mushed foods too but often people think these are safe.

Offline FPT23

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2016, 16:38:54 pm »
Those are great links thank you so much as always Creations. Def will look into them! I looked at the other link and saw great suggestions thanks!

Interesting, you make so much sense haha! Denser food does seem like a better choice as it isn't as easy to swallow in the first place or "choke" on... soft chunks would be. Hmmm... clever! ;) it is also true when you mentioned motor skills and language/jaw development sooner. Why didn't I ever think of this!? ;) ...DS1 I was always so nervous and I think I stuck to "thick" purees and those puff type snacks, cereals etc until 1yo at least.... looking back, I rarely did any finger food. I was scared I guess haha! New mom stuff I suppose ;)

Yes I've offered him some ground turkey before. He just makes this interesting face when he swallows it. Haha. Since it is new to him! I think I will just offer what we eat! So do you think some pieces of chicken would be good too? We eat lots of chicken haha ;) I've offered quinoa and it was the best ;D haha! I guess in the grand scheme of things, it's best to just go for it. This morning I made pancakes and I just crumbled it and he played with it mostly until he eventually brought to his mouth. Pieces of toast would do too I assume... but I noticed him focused and trying to do the "pincer grasp" but not quite there yet but close!

I'm excited for this new chapter! Oh how time flies. Onto foooood already!

Thanks for the sources! We'all be giving it a go! :D
Fabi

Offline creations

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2016, 17:40:32 pm »
it is also true when you mentioned motor skills and language/jaw development sooner. Why didn't I ever think of this!?
I never thought of it when I started BLW with my DS.  I just didn't see the point in purees if he could have regular food and if finger foods should be introduced at 6 months so saw it as a bonus not to have to make purees.  It was one of the childcare workers at our mum and baby group who mentioned to me about language development so I found out after we'd started.

Chicken is fine :)  We tend to eat more thigh/leg as the iron is higher and it's less dry than breast but whichever part you want to serve really. I'd give one big hunk (like the size of your thumb) and let him explore it.

Pancakes, my DS ate loads of the little American style pancakes (here we call them Scotch pancakes, very similar) actually I made some today and he had forgotten even having them before which is amazing as he has had so many of them!  I just used self raising flour, egg, milk, banana and whizzed it into a batter. Sometimes added raisins or grated apple/pear etc for different flavours. They freeze great if you interweave with baking parchment so they don't all stick together and then you can lift out 2 or 3 a few hours before eating and they make great finger food.

Offline FPT23

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2016, 18:52:35 pm »
Thank you Creations!

I did the whole purée thing with DS1 but now... it's a bit more work than I'd like anyway with 2 kids haha why not just give him our food anyway! DS1 is super picky and I feel it stemmed from that! Trying to always feed the perfect foods, instead of letting him explore and try new things! I was always concerned about every little thing haha! To an extreme probably ;) ::) ...def more laid back with DS2! But that all really just makes sense! Thanks!

I prefer thigh and leg as well.. def more moisture. It's just that we are "fit" people and do a lot of weight training and because of the high fat in take in that par of the chicken, we skip it or only on occasion. I do normally buy a pack for DS1 as he prefers it too though. I will give it a go! Going to get some yolks too tu also! :D

Aww how precious! He was like HEYYYY MAKE THIS MORE! Haha! It's a mess and time consuming to make, that's why I don't come around them too often either haha! DS1 devoured his too! It had also been sometime haha! Mmmmm I love adding banana too in the mix! With pumpkin season coming up, I can't wait to add it on pancakes...and everything haha! ;) ...we love cinnamon pancakes here! My husband loves banana! I never tried grated apples and pears!! That sounds great! Will have to try sometime!!! Such splendid ideas I appreciate it! ;D
Fabi

Offline FPT23

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2016, 02:04:00 am »
Additionally, how do you know if and when he's had enough?

He seems to rarely get much in his mouth and I see he's still hungry in between his normal nursing sessions.... which before with purée was enough.

How do I make sure he's getting enough solids? :)
Fabi

Offline creations

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2016, 17:34:56 pm »
how do you know if and when he's had enough?
He'll stop eating, that's a great indicator of having had enough ;)

LOs are generally pretty good at managing how much they eat. Of course milk is still his primary food so there's no worry about how much solids he is taking at this point. Still early days.
Do make sure to offer water with/after food as he might be thirsty.

Offline FPT23

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2016, 20:21:58 pm »
Ah ok ok!

Yes I know when he's full or doesn't like something but I meant in terms of BLW since he barely gets any in his mouth haha but still seemingly hungry, kwim?

Yes he loves water ;D
Fabi

Offline creations

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2016, 18:40:59 pm »
If you'd be happier to spoon feed in addition to the finger foods then go ahead, but at 7 months portions are expected to be very small anyway, otherwise solids can fill them up too much and the milk intake drops.  I would think if you give him some things easy to grasp he'll soon get the hang of getting it into his mouth :)

Offline FPT23

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2016, 00:11:10 am »
Yes he's slowly getting better at getting the food and putting it in his mouth. We've been doing both, like you mentioned and so far so good. He just wants ALL.THE.FOOD... ;)

;D
Fabi

Offline creations

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2016, 20:07:16 pm »
Mine was a solids lover too :)
It's such fun isn't it!

Offline FPT23

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2016, 23:16:52 pm »
Oh my, sooooo fun! If we go out or eat in front of him... he starts grunting and opening his mouth or does "chewing" motions haha!

Super adorable! He's getting better! Still can't bring much into his mouth and lots of playing with the textures...but the chewing motion is def improving :D
Fabi