Author Topic: What to do when baby doesn't like a solid  (Read 1691 times)

Offline Gummi_bear63

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
What to do when baby doesn't like a solid
« on: October 29, 2016, 18:51:55 pm »
My 6 month old had just started solids(puréed).  He gobbled the first two types up but seems to hate peas. He makes faces at first but then starts to cry when he realizes I'm still feeding him peas(although still opens his mouth every time). We then tried puréed chicken and same reaction. I'm not sure what to do. Should I keep trying a bit everyday?  Or wait awhile before trying them again?  Is it ever okay to mix it with something he does like at this stage to help him learn to like the taste(perhaps gradually more and more of what he didn't like at first)?  Or will that cause problems because he's not getting used to the taste on its own?  Thoughts?

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Re: What to do when baby doesn't like a solid
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2016, 20:14:23 pm »
At 6mo it is really about getting used to taste and texture. I really wouldn't worry about it in any way. If he doesn't take to something offer it again later & see.

Also no reason not to mix foods together, I mean if you look at most foods we eat they are multiple flavours. I used to do apple & Zucchini, lentil & carrot & things like that - they both stopped eating it at later ages though LOL

Honestly I was saying to my 11yo the other day, he was such a good eater at 1yo & now he is so inconsistent, he likes prawns in a carbonara sauce, but I do a garlic sauce - which was really just the same thing with a little garlic & serve it with rice rather than pasta & he says he doesn't like it.

Honestly take it as it comes, from a BTDT the more you worry about food the bigger the issues you will have.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2016, 20:40:27 pm »
We'd very little success with individual foods with my DD3. Now I've moved onto mixed foods like sweet potato and spinach, chicken casserole, stew and she loves it. My DD2 was the same.

I use the annabel Karmel book and its Great for recipes x

Offline Lindsay27

• Showing Appreciation 78
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2016, 00:34:49 am »
Both mine hated peas...I mean have you tried puréed peas!? Not pleasant lol.  We mix everything together, fruit and veg.  And meat is done in a stew, so mixed with lots of veggies (sweet potatoes, carrots, squash, etc...and I actually add peas and green things in the stew because the flavour gets masked by everything else).