Author Topic: Solid food poop  (Read 1767 times)

Offline Gummi_bear63

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Solid food poop
« on: November 04, 2016, 13:56:38 pm »
Sorry to be gross but I want to make sure this is normal. The first week or so of solids my sons poop was as I expected. Trickier and sticker but still loose and smucked all over his diaper. The last few days or so it suddenly is like a well formed mound that just pops of easily from the diaper(I use cloth-so its been nice!). But I'm worried that might not be normal. I've seen him make a sort of "poop face" where he strains a little twice, but mostly I don't notice. He poops several times a day so I wasn't really worried about him being constipated but now I'm being to wonder if this is normal for this age (6 months) I specifically didn't feed him rice cereal because I was worried about constipation. I didn't note down when it started as I didn't think of it at first but he eats sweet potato, pear, (definitely was mush with these two) peas, chicken(although he hates this and has barely ingested any), banana, and avocado. Definitely started being one clump before avocado and before bananas I think.  Could any of this be causing a problem?  Chicken or peas I guess?

Any thoughts?  Does this sound normal or should I be investigating problems/introducing prunes or something? 

Offline Gummi_bear63

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Solid food poop
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2016, 13:59:35 pm »
Just occurred to me I may have switched formula around this time. I breastfeed but have to supplement a little with formula. I used to use a ready to serve one and switched to
Powder. It specifically is the "easy to digest" version but maybe that's the problem
?

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Solid food poop
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2016, 14:55:46 pm »
All sounds perfectly normal to me :)

Poo does change with solids and it is going to get "pooier" like kid/adult poo if your LO is eating solids. Different solids can certainly make a difference but overall yes this is solids poo.
LOs DO strain to poo and it is more difficult with solids poo however this is normal and I was also told by our HV that they need to learn to have a good push to activate all those muscles.  You do not want constipation and if this happens you do need to act upon it in a timely manner (prunes yes, or meds if prunes don't do it) however just straining and having a poo face, even the whole body working at it, does not automatically mean constipation.

Constipation will be indicated by straining and no poo coming or small hard pellets. I know you inspect it each nappy change ;) If it is rock hard it's too hard. If you can form it like play dough it's fine.  I loved the well formed poo as I could mould it within the cloth nappy and it just plopped off into the toilet. The stickier poo I had to scrape (we had a poo spoon!) but it is still within the normal range so it's fine.
Do always serve water with solids too.  if your LO can't yet use a sippy cup or open cup then you can offer a bottle of water (boiled and allowed to go cold) to ensure he gets the fluid he needs in an easy way.  I used both bottle and sippy for a little while until mine could get a decent drink from the sippy cup.

if you do suspect constipation I suggest prunes, the soft ready to eat are without stones and make a nice finger food, just 1 or 2, don't over do it (prob just one for 6 months old).  If this doesn't help within the 12-24 hr then another ready to eat prune or even prunes from a can (try to get in fruit juice not syrup so the sugar is only fruit sugar). The canned prunes I discovered were so effective I couldn't give more than 1-2 and not very often at all, mostly I didn't use them. The ready to eat prunes though I used regularly as I kept a gauge on his poo - prune if it was a bit on the hard side and I served carrot if it was a bit too soft. I was able to manage his poo consistency well with those two foods added or avoided on a daily basis.

If however there is no poo coming don't delay on a trip to the doc. You don't want it to become impacted and meds might be needed for a short time.

Formula can certainly have an effect and it takes a little while to adapt to a new formula (even the same brand is different between the powder and the ready to drink I found) but it should be okay - it does sound ok just now.

Hope this puts your mind at rest and helps you feel more prepared :)