Author Topic: 8 months solid+bf routine advice  (Read 1680 times)

Offline LauraJame

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: November 29, 2016, 12:57:09 pm »
Hey, IŽd like some advices on my routine .

I started solids at 6 months and he accepted fine. I would like to know if my routine is fine and if I can improve somehow that (he wakes at nigh each hour so Im trying everthing haha)

What I am doing :

7:00 (wake time) BF
9:00 fruit
12:00 solid and fruit
4:00 some juice/fruit
7:00 solid and fruit
8:00 bed time
11:30 ~ 12:30 BF
03:30 ~ 04:30 BF

So, I really dont know if he is hungry at night wakes. He usually cry a lot. My doctor said that I could give 3 BF per day. So Im using all during night.

ps.: He drinks a lot of water during day and when he wakes at night.

Any advice?

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: 8 months solid+bf routine advice
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2016, 15:10:00 pm »
The most common routine at 6 months is for the4 milk feeds to stay in place (usually 4 day and 1 or 2 night) and for a small solids meal to be offered once per day.  It would increase to 2 and then 3 meals by around 8 months.  The times for an average routine would look like this:

7 WU milk
8 solids (6 months)
11 milk
12 solids (around 7 months)
3 milk
4/5 solids (around 8 months)
7 BT milk

Some LOs really like solids and might be having three small meals at 6 months but it is vital that milk intake does not drop rapidly. T=Milk is the primary food until 12 months. It could be that your LO is waking frequently in the night because he is hungry. Solids do not offer him the nutrition or calories he needs at this age whilst breast milk does, if he fills up on solids in the day his only option to take on board the needed calories is to feed frequently at night. Hope this makes sense.

One or two night feeds is normal for this age.

It is also okay to offer an additional BF at the end of a solids meal (and water with the meal), some LOs like this in the early days of solids.

My advice would be to cut back on the solids for now and reintroduce all the regular milk feeds at 4hrly intervals plus 1o or 2 night feeds (3hrs+ apart) similar to the routine above. it is okay to adjust the routine above for your LOs day, to fit milk and solids around naps and to suit WU and BT.

I hope this helps