Author Topic: Starting solids 4.5 months  (Read 5748 times)

Offline Chloevalentine

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« on: December 06, 2016, 14:53:35 pm »
Hi my 4.5 month old was given the green light from pediatrician to start solids. He's a big baby already 20+ lbs. so we've started slowly and he took ok to the cereal but not so much fruit. Even with the cereal i try to give a little everyday but somedays he's not interested. What ive been  doing is about 30 mins prior to when he's ready for the bottle I'll warm his bottle and use some of it to make cereal then I  put him in highchair and feed him about 2 tbsps of cereal then we will finish the bottle. But lately his naps fall where he's hungry when he wakes and if I try to give cereal first he gets upset looking for bottle. Any tips? Thanks

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Starting solids 4.5 months
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 15:00:50 pm »
I'd give him the bottle first if he's hungry and looking for it. He's so young and his milk is important to him.
If the nap falls between the bottle and the solids that's fine. An hour or so after the bottle is a good time for solids anyway, and if he sleeps 1.5hrs then that's also fine. He will be less hungry and better rested so more likely to have patience for trying the solid foods.  If anything needed to be moved or dropped though I'd personally drop the solids out of the routine until he's older.

hth

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 16:07:57 pm »
That's what I'm doing. I'm really just trying out the cereal at this time and some days it just doesn't work. But i guess moving forward I should have more of a routine as to when I'm feeding solids right?

Offline creations

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 18:44:37 pm »
I think many people avoid grains until 6 months anyway due to the immature gut... so perhaps if you really want to offer solids now maybe look at pureed vegetables?
A usual routine is to offer solids 1hr after a milk feed. Once per day initially, about 2 tsp is classed as a "meal", and to build up to 3 meals at 8 months (the meals then would be larger too if LO is interested in solids, not all are).

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 15:26:19 pm »
Can I ask why you've started this early? Here the advice is to wait until 6 months to establish gut maturity, and to avoid anything but fruit and veg if you do start early. There's a great explanation in the Baby Led Weaning book which helped it all make sense to me.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 20:17:11 pm by MJ&N »
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline stuckunderhere

• Showing Appreciation 2
    • Micah's FPIES Life
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 15:45:02 pm »
I agree with MJ&N
~Sarah~
Proud mama bear to:

Samuel - 10
Elijah - 6
Micah - 3

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2016, 20:19:48 pm »
Also look up arsenic in rice cereal...pretty scary stuff, not to mention the other stuff associated with baby rice.

Anything you feed him before 6 months (and for a while afterwards) will contain less calories than milk and likely disrupt sleep, so will probably be counterproductive.
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline creations

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2016, 22:28:07 pm »
Whilst many of us would agree with the UK guidance to introduce solids at around 6 months, OP has clearly said that she has the support of her paediatrician to begin solids earlier than 6 months - she should not feel the need to explain or justify this.

OP has also not said she is using baby rice, but cereal, which may be a different cereal. Either way, there are many foods judged safe for infant consumption whether home made or shop bought.  Let's please not scare monger over any product which has been an established baby food for many years and which meets food regulations.  The Food Standards Agency has put in place strict limits for rice products intended as infant food.

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2016, 03:40:10 am »
The pediatrician told me I could try because he's such a big baby (20 lbs at 4 months) and he was topping out on amount of formula he should be fed she said. He's now 5 months and I just started up trying again because i felt after trying he just wasn't ready. I did start with organic oatmeal baby cereal as I only eat organic and make my own baby food.
Now that we are starting up again I was just looking for a good feeding schedule. Looks like bottle first solids an hour later which sonetimes doesn't always work with school picks up etc. should I be doing two meals a day ? 2-4 tablespoons ? Both cereal and fruits/veggies ? Will the formula intake go down?

Offline creations

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2016, 08:24:38 am »
I would just fit the solids around school pick  up s etc. It isn't vital that it is exactly 1hr, that's a guide, it's just that you want LO a little hungry to take some solids but not so hungry that he fills on solids and then doesn't take his proper milk feed.  If it's 30 mins or 1hr 30 after milk it's okay, just fit it into your routine.

The guidance amount is in tea spoons rather than tables spoons. It is very small, however so long as his milk intake doesn't drop you can follow his cue on how much he wants to eat.

Most advice is to avoid grains until after 6 months so perhaps you might prefer to stick with other foods for now - it's your choice.  LOs can also have meat and fish so long as there are no bones.

No the formula intake shouldn't drop.  The solids are in addition to milk rather than instead of milk. Milk intake doesn't really drop for a good while, around 11 months you might drop to 3 milk feeds instead of 4 in the day (and replace that milk feed with a solids snack) but even after 12 months LO will still have 2 milks each day, usually WU and BT and at this time it's advised to switch from bottles to another cup (or straw).

1 or 2 meals per day is fine.  Again the advice is to start with just 1. Then build up to 2. Then 3 meals at 8 months. You are still a few months off the 3 meals so there is no hurry.  Again though you can follow LOs lead.  It will be easier to fit in just 1 solid meal for you right now, around milks, naps and school runs you might be glad to only do the one meal per day for a month or two.

Hope this helps.
Do let us know if you have any more questions :)

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2016, 00:25:44 am »
I'm finding he's eating better but having trouble sleeping with gas wondering if he's just not ready for solids yet and I should just hold off another 2 weeks until he's 6 months

Offline creations

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2016, 08:17:44 am »
Maybe. Some LOs get gas anyway, they are not very mobile to help the gas work through. Gentle leg cycling might help.

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2017, 14:26:31 pm »
We've started up solids again and he seems to be so much more interested. We are still doing just one meal usually early in the day of about 2 tbsp organic oatmeal cereal 2 tbsp fruit or veggie. Going to work up to two and see if he might seem interested for more later in the day. But we are doing about an hour after bottle. He was up to sometimes 5 8 oz bottles a day at almost 6 months but he's a large baby prob near 25 lbs now very tall and big boy.

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2017, 01:51:26 am »
I'm finding he's dropping a lot of formula with just the two meals. What's the standard amount of formula and solids they should be getting at 6 months? Keep in mind he's in the 99% for height and weight.  The second meal I've started giving at night per my drs suggestion in regards to his nws and last night was the first night he slept through !

Offline stuckunderhere

• Showing Appreciation 2
    • Micah's FPIES Life
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2017, 20:22:14 pm »
Food should not replace formula until 12mo. So he needs his 24oz a day at least.
~Sarah~
Proud mama bear to:

Samuel - 10
Elijah - 6
Micah - 3