Author Topic: EASY and Preemies  (Read 6154 times)

Offline AngelNow

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 10, 2017, 14:38:26 pm »
Hi,
I have a 5 months old who came 7 weeks early and spend his first 37 days in hospitals.  I didn't find anything about preemies here.  Does anyone has any suggestion on how to give him the routine and is this going to work as full term babies?

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: EASY and Preemies
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 19:43:10 pm »
You can definitely use EASY, just bear in mind his corrected age and assume he will behave more like a 3.5mo in terms of the awake times he can handle :) otherwise just as for a term baby! Welcome to the boards x

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: EASY and Preemies
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 20:07:52 pm »
Yes there are a few parts in the BW books about prem babies.  We can still help you along, whenever you post a question try to post your LOs age and corrected/adjusted age so that people supporting you know and can try to take it into account.
I know for instance that Tracy said not all babies could move from 3hr to 4hr milk feeds and listed a few instances including prem, low birth weight, babies who had medical issues at birth.  They are more likely to stay on 3hr feeds until 6 months (or 6 months adjusted).  My own LO stayed on 3hr feeds until 6 months and he was not early but 2 wks late, we always try to adapt suggestions to the needs of the individual LO.
I've supported on threads where, over time, the adjusted age has narrowed and become less significant, so that's something to bare in mind too as times goes on.

Welcome to BW forums :)