Author Topic: What do we do during the mantra cry?  (Read 1467 times)

Offline airam

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 24, 2017, 09:41:46 am »
Do I just let him cry and only pu if the crying gets intense and continuous?

It's so hard for me to interpret and know what to do.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: What do we do during the mantra cry?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 13:06:24 pm »
A mantra cry is different from proper crying.
Every LO has a different mantra cry so it is hard to describe but I'd say it is a less intense sound, more repetitive (like a mantra), more of a humming, no tears, no escalating (if it does escalate or start to produce tears then it's changed to a real cry, you need to respond) and for the most part doesn't tend to sound too sad.
I do remember though a certain phase mine went through when his mantra DID sound sad I I started to jump in too early, when I went in the room I realised no tears and from the repetition of sound realised it was a mantra, also although it sounded sad it didn't escalate.

I don't know how old your LO is but if you are in the room the chances are he knows you are there so he will not feel abandoned.  You do not need to pick up through a mantra, you should let him self settle as much as possible.

A mantra can also end with a final yelp/cry out/scream. This will be the one that gets you jumping from your sofa and running to his room to reassure him that mummy will always return - only to discover that actually he nodded off a split second after the yelp.  I think Tracy described it in the book, a last ditch attempt to stay awake before succumbing to dream land or something.

hope this helps

Offline airam

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 12:39:44 pm »
Thank you. I stayed and when I noticed it, I just waited until he slept.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: What do we do during the mantra cry?
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 16:24:21 pm »
It can take some time to work out the mantra so don't feel bad at all if it's not totally obvious.  I see you have a thread on naps so hopefully you will get some good support there with your routine etc.  Good luck.

Offline airam

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 07:39:13 am »
Thanks. Yes night are getting better although I still wake up at the times he used to wake up and I'm so tired. my body forgot how to fall back asleep so Im still only getting 3hrs of uninterrupted sleep.

Actually, the reason for sleep training was to fix the naps! I was advised to sort of nights first but I really hope he can get this.