Author Topic: 5 minute naps, schedule falling apart, please help!  (Read 1614 times)

Offline COmama

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
5 minute naps, schedule falling apart, please help!
« on: February 25, 2017, 20:33:57 pm »
My 3.5 month old daughter is only napping for 5, maybe 10 minutes at a time. We were doing really well with 2.5 hr easy and getting naps up to one hour. Now this for a week, and i'm completely exhausted. She gets fussy, sleepy, rubs her eyes a ton and drifts off fairly easily, then wakes up what feels like immediately and won't go back to sleep. If I go in, she smiles and gets all playful, then gets fussy again after 10-20 minutes. Her A times have been anywhere from 1 hr to 4 hrs and she is eating every 3 hrs. She's still sleeping well at night. Suggestions?

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: 5 minute naps, schedule falling apart, please help!
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 07:57:05 am »
Hello and welcome to BW forums :)

I had a quick look at your previous naps thread and got a little extra information there. I suspect that your LO is confusing you with her sleepy cues.  Around 4 months old LOs can show those tired signs when they are ready for a different activity - in effect it's a sign of boredom with one activity or environment and they need a change up, something different to look at or hold or listen to.  It can also be when the activity is too stimulating for instance laying on a baby play gym with lots of different toys hanging down in their face, this can be really bothersome and tiring and the fussiness, yawns and cues can easily be interpreted for tiredness and ready for a nap when really what they need is a reduction of toys or a change of scene.
I realise your LO  is not yet 4 months, obviously the ages are guidance and some LOs are a bit ahead of the game.

Sleeping 5 or 10 mins can be either OT (overtired) or UT (undertired) or pain related.  She could even have started some teething, teeth move for a while before they begin to cut through and the movement can bring discomfort.  Teething can start at 3 months even though it is more common to begin a little later, it's a possibility.

Is there anything else which could be disturbing your LO, any illness, reflux, silent reflux?  Does she feed well at the 3hr E?

Are you still using the swaddle for naps or have you unswaddled now?

Could you post your EAS times please, just as they happened in a real day, not what you hope for.  Could you use this format:
WU 7.00
E 7.00
A 1hr 30
S 8.30 - 8.40 (10 mins) tried to resettle for 40 mins until 9.10
A
E 10.00
A 1hr 30 (total time from waking to sleeping)
S 10.10 - 10.20
etc through the day with any short notes about her mood, if you tried to resettle and how etc.