Author Topic: Baby first food-- egg YOLK and meats  (Read 1937 times)

Offline mariarico

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« on: February 27, 2017, 15:04:35 pm »
So my baby will be 4 months next week and I've heard that the guidelines have now changed and research shows that egg yolk and organic purée meats are recommended as baby's first food bc it is much easier to digest than grains. Babies do not have the proper enzymes to digest grains until after 8 months

So I was wondering if anyone has started with yolk or purée meats and how did it go?

With my first  I started with veggies and banana and I never gave grains until she was 10 months

Offline Mashi

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 17:00:17 pm »
We did not start with egg yolk but I did start with it quite early, about 7mo-ish. But I waited until 6mo to start DS on solids. Soft fish about 8mo. We did gluten-free and easy to digest grains from about 9mo. 

Are you looking for recipes?

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Baby first food-- egg YOLK and meats
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 19:03:56 pm »
Guidelines are usually to wait until LO is 6 months old before starting solids, although of course some do start earlier for various reasons.  Personally I  would not start as young as 4 months unless there was a medical reason to and discussed with a paediatrician.

From 6 months are are few foods baby shouldn't have really.

I started my DS at 5.5 months old and used BLW, so finger foods only, no puree at all unless it was something like humus which is a purée anyway.  Started eggs, meat and fish and all sorts of foods.  At 6 months he was chomping on a slab of roast beef in a restaurant and thoroughly enjoying it - big enough for him to hold in a fist grip and gum and suck at.  He was always an enthusiastic eater so tried pretty much everything he was offered.  As time went on he showed he wasn't a huge fan of meat although he's always had an unbelievable appetite for slow cooked lamb shank.