Author Topic: I need help - 5 month old is a horrible sleeper  (Read 1521 times)

Offline wdwmom2011

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
I need help - 5 month old is a horrible sleeper
« on: March 07, 2017, 19:02:54 pm »
I have a 5 month old little girl.  She has never been a good sleeper but the past month has been really bad.  She only naps about 20 mins three times a day.  At night she is up every 1 to 1.5 hours, the past week it has been every 45 mins with up to 2 hours of awake time in the middle of the night. 

I don't even know where to start.  I am so tired, I can't see straight.  She is my third and I work full time. 

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 48
Re: I need help - 5 month old is a horrible sleeper
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 14:24:57 pm »
Goshh Honey you must be so exhausted!!! I hope we will find a way to help!

Can you please try to post your routine and let us know what you do to make her sleep? How do you settle her?

Is there any chance she is in any discomfort? Waking so often, sleep so little and many NW may suggest problems with reflux.
~Marta

Offline wdwmom2011

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: I need help - 5 month old is a horrible sleeper
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 15:33:48 pm »
I do not think she has reflux.  When she was a newborn, we discussed all possible issues contributing to her fussiness and gassiness with our pediatrician.  He felt like it was likely just colic and she would get better eventually.  I cut out all dairy and soy and it did help a lot, so I think she has some intolerances.  Her gas isn't nearly as bad as it was and she is generally a very happy baby now.

6am wake up and nurse (again)
830am nurse or bottle (if I am at work)
845am first attempt at nap- she will usually fall asleep for 15-20 mins
1030am nurse or bottle
1130am second attempt at nap- she will usually fall asleep for 15-20 mins
1pm nurse or bottle
3pm third attempt at nap
4pm-630pm feed on demand, cluster feeding most evenings if I have worked
6:30-7pm bedtime (just recently moved this up from about 8pm)
Sometimes she will sleep for a 3 hour stretch (usually 8pm-11pm) then up pretty much every hour after that.

She likes to nurse to sleep or rock/sing/pat. We have started laying her down sleepy but awake and shhh'ing/patting/singing until she falls asleep.  At daycare they end up just letting her fall asleep in a bouncer or on a mat when she is playing because they said she wont sleep in the crib.  She goes to daycare 3 days a week and is with my husband 2 days a week while I work.