Author Topic: 7 week old struggling with bedtime  (Read 1463 times)

Offline Cvbaby2014

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: March 11, 2017, 01:48:56 am »
We have been struggling with our baby at bedtime for the last few weeks.  I think it's a combination of a few things perhaps overtired or overstimulated.  He is taking a long time and a lot of convincing to go to sleep,  last night taking over a hour.
He is struggling to go down in the evening and won't settle even by being held for a long time.
Luckily he has been a good sleeper from early on and is able to settle himself when he wakes during and nap or night sleep. He also is put to bed awake for naps and when he wakes at night. So I know he can sleep on his own and he has had almost all his sleep in his crib from day 1.

For the evening,  his naps are tough after 4pm but we've managed to squeeze/force in a cat nap by using the swing of needs be.  We've ended all naps by 630 if they have happened at all. And are trying for last feed at 8pm and into bed shortly after.

He is breastfed and is waking twice a night on average anytime from 12:30-3am and 5-630am.
I'm just not sure how to make the evenings go smoother as he is fussy from 7 or so but isn't really hungry. I do try to feed if he seems to need it.  But usually the last feeds are 6-630 and 8.
He has been waking for the day between 7-8.  Most days I need to wake him at 8 even if he is sleeping if I am taking my toddler to daycare.

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: 7 week old struggling with bedtime
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 14:33:20 pm »
May not be a huge lot of help but it may at least be reassuring to know that fussy evenings are very very normal at this age :)  Overtiredness and overstimulation are pretty much inevitable to be honest, however hard you try and however good naps are.  Perhaps a tad earlier bedtime would help?  If he's fussy from 7pm how about getting him into bed from then?  But in general I think it is often a case of waiting it out until they get a bit bigger x

Offline Cvbaby2014

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 17:46:19 pm »
Thanks for your reply,  I know it's to be expected I think I just don't remember what it was like with my first child!
I agree about the earlier bedtime but given our clocks change this weekend I wanted to wait until that has passed and we can figure out a better schedule after that.

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: 7 week old struggling with bedtime
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 17:03:49 pm »
Good plan :)  Let us know how you get on and see if things settle - if not we'll be here xx