Author Topic: 27 month old regress again  (Read 1464 times)

Offline Jess_C

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: March 11, 2017, 13:26:13 pm »
Hi

My 27 m old suddenly regressed. He sttn for 2 months when he had a regression at 24 m . My problem had always been not bring able to leave the room and also waking up at night if he didn't self settle. So when he had the 24 m old regression, I managed to walk out by just picking him up and putting him aside and said very firmly . Night time! Almost like naughty Corner but I wasn't screaming  just a firm voice and he get remorsed and it worked for 2 months . And now at 27 m suddenly when I left the room he cried again .

Honestly, does it nvr end these regression.? This time I try naughty corner but it didn't work. I am sh sh him at the door for 5 days alr and bo result. He doesn't mind me leaving the room as long as I am there sh at door. How kong do I hv to sh?? Can sh at door be a prop. ..

I hv to add I notice he recently become very sticky to me. He has always be sticky but this last week more. Does separation anxiety still happen...

I don't want to let him cry out....so I been sh sh but is tiring too. Usually takes an hr. I even downloaded a sh app and it seems to work. But still, am afraid sh at door is becoming a prop , is that possible?

His routine now is wake up 8.15 nap 1 to 3 pm and bedtime 8.45

Offline ginger428

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 16
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 03:52:14 am »
Hi there,
2 year olds develop a greater imagination and fears. What we did was to provide a night light, extend bedtime routine to include more snuggling time and a lot of reassurance of where we are and that we're close, and provided a lovey for him to cuddle with. We also started opening his door, but this was a last resort.

Let's find a way to help him enjoy going to sleep instead of creating any unnecessary negative associations with sleep. Instead of thinking he is doing anything naughty, remember that he is going through so many changes this year. His brain is absorbing and processing so much. They really just want to feel reassured.

For us, these phases happen every few months or so depending on what's happening. Today we did things out of routine involving preschool for the first time and my son asked for me to hold him and stay at bedtime. I did a bit and gently and verbally reassured him but was still able To Leave after a few moments. The goal is to get them to a state of calmness so that they can fall asleep.

Hope that helps!

Offline Jess_C

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2017, 04:42:36 am »
Thanks . Good to know am not a alone. So is been almost 3 weeks  of waking up almost every night. He settles with sh at the door. But I really dunno how long this will take before he start sttn. Part of me has also accepted the fact he ll nvr sttn anymore.

I am really exhausted I suppose and I wonder if I should just stop sh and let him be. But so far if I stop he ll escalate.

Offline ginger428

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 16
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2017, 12:16:40 pm »
His routine might need changing is this has been going on so long.

You said his routine is this-
WU 8:15
N 1:00-3:09
BT 8:45

How long is he up at night (seems like over an hour?) and what times does he wake. Around 2-2.5yo, some kids start needing much less day sleep. It can intefere with their nights.

Hi awake time (A) is also very short for his age. I would move his nap to 2, and wake him at 3:30 latest for now.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 00:37:22 am by ginger413 »