Author Topic: Nearly 12mo - would like to start bottle weaning soon  (Read 1578 times)

Offline ladymugg

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Nearly 12mo - would like to start bottle weaning soon
« on: March 13, 2017, 02:48:06 am »
HI there

My 11mo currently consumes about 720ml (24oz) formula per day over three feeds.  Usually after breakfast, mid afternoon and then bedtime. 

In the country I live in, it is recommended at this age (8-12mo) they're on both solids and formula (or BF), formula of approx 600ml  (20oz) per day.

This is my second child - my first child I started weaning from formula onto cows milk soon after 1st birthday.  I just want to be sure I'm setting this weaning up ok... should I be trying to reduce the mls offered to that 600ml mark now and then look at the weaning after 1st birthday (13 months etc)?

When I weaned my eldest I started by substituting a small amount of formula for cows milk in the same bottle, and gradually increased this FYI.

The reason I'm keen to wean are the following:
- Baby has healthy appetite and eats a lot of solids (variety is good) plus would be keen on snacks
- Baby has been exclusively formula fed since birth and yeah well, I'm over the mixing up and cleaning bottles, plus the expense of formula ;) (I'm allowed to be!)
Mum to DD born April 2014 and DS born April 2016.

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Nearly 12mo - would like to start bottle weaning soon
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 19:50:41 pm »
Sorry I missed this!

You could start reducing her mid afternoon bottle and offer a snack with it if she needs it. That would be the bottle to drop in favour of a snack so it's probably the easiest to reduce.

I would do what you did with your first DD - it sounds like it worked well so I wouldn't do anything different!

HTH!

Laura

Offline ladymugg

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 20:22:53 pm »
Thank you so much Laura.

I think you're right, that mid afternoon bottle is probably the one I could sub out.  I think then eventually post-breakfast and then at the end pre-bedtime will be the next steps.

Thanks once again for awesome advice :)
Mum to DD born April 2014 and DS born April 2016.

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 21:52:04 pm »
I would start as Lolly says and than you can start your day with a solid breakfast or just offer milk instead of in a bottle in a beaker. Offering milk in a beaker no matter if it's cow milk or formula usually reduces the amount of milk baby is taking.
~Marta