Author Topic: 1 yr old waking every hour, was a good sleeper please help!  (Read 1461 times)

Offline Btw274

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
1 yr old waking every hour, was a good sleeper please help!
« on: March 19, 2017, 06:15:04 am »
Hello everyone. Just joined and hoping to find some help. My husband and my relationship is not doing well and this part is not helping. We completely disagree when it comes to raising our son. Here it is...formula fed just transitioned to soy milk. Choice was made for that due to his body being irratible to cows milk. Before the transition he would wake maybe once during the night to eat and otherwise was good. Bedtime is 730 pm and would wake about 1130 pm and sleep until 630 am. Now that we have transitioned to soy it has increasingly gotten worse from 3 wake ups to every hour. I also have to mention that last week we had his MMR and Chicken pox vaccines so he is feeling the side effects from those. I really felt like it was the poor feeling from that and the change in milk but now I'm not so sure. My husband feels I cater to him and pick him up too much so I have created this. When he does wake up I pick him up and rock with him until he falls back asleep. I don't believe in crying it out but I just don't know anymore. After ibuprofen if needed, gas drops, a milk feed, burping and checking diaper I am at a loss. Please help. I don't understand why his sleep pattern changed so drastically. Also btw does not have any attachment to any blanket or stuffed animal but does have a favorite that is with him and also no pacifier. TIA :'(

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: 1 yr old waking every hour, was a good sleeper please help!
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 17:04:49 pm »
Did the change coincide with introduction of soya milk? Many LOs who are allergic to milk protein are also sensitive to soya....what formula was he on? I'd be very tempted to go back to that in the first instance and see if that improves the situation before thinking about other aspects of his sleep. Sorry your relationship is tough right now :(  you'll always find a listening ear and a friendly hand to hold here x

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 18:39:52 pm »
Hi - when did you change the milk? Could you post your routine and how old your LO is? i.e. if he is just 12 or 18 then it could be a regression?

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 19:30:10 pm »
Hi we've just had 12 month jabs and had some horrid nights as they seem to make my lo reflux flare a bit.

It sounds like discomfort and as you say you've just changed milk it could be down to that, as Jessmum says I'd swap back for a while.

Sorry things are tough right now, we are always here to listen x
Zoe

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 08:13:37 am »
My DS1 couldn't transition to milk (soy or cow) at 12mo, he was fine with cheeses & yogurt, but if he drank cows or soy he threw up- so we gave him toddler's formula until he was 18mo & then tried a bit of milk & he was ok by then.

Since the bad sleep seemed to be around the time he went to Soy milk, I'd go back to formula, they don't have to stop formula at 1yo it's more trying to get them off using a bottle that is more important than it being non formula.

In terms of your DH, I'd quite simply wait for when he asks for help & say "sorry if I help you, you will always keep asking for help & never learn how to do things for yourself... at least you can explain to me why you need help but our baby can't & while he cries, he's asking  for help & I think it's reasonable to give it!!
It's pretty much an old wives tail that giving children too much attention makes them needy & lacking independence, it's actually the opposite, once a child knows that they will get their needs met & they have a safe base they are more likely to be independent - maybe not noticeable at 3yo, but very noticeable in older children.

dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05