Author Topic: Suggestions for Weaning 9 month old off Pacifier?  (Read 3862 times)

Offline sousafamilia

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Suggestions for Weaning 9 month old off Pacifier?
« on: July 25, 2005, 15:11:45 PM »
At nine months now, we'd like to get Ben off the pacifier, does anybody have any suggestions?

We haven't been able to get him to 'adopt' any other kind of comfort object yet.  He seems to ignore anything other than a pacifier that we place in the crib.

He's also incredibly fussy about sleeping outside the house.  Recently he spent the day with mom at her sisters and he didn't sleep the entire day (ten hours)!
Steven and Maggie
Proud Parents of Ben and Xander

Offline KJ'sMommy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
    • http://www.kalebjohnlawson.com
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2005, 18:04:23 PM »
My son is a bit younger than yours, but we have been working to phase out the pacifier as well.  What has helped us is introducing his blanket during our "wind down" time before naps and bed.  I sit with him and put the silky side on him while we rock and read stories or sing.  Lately he has just been spitting the binky out to suck on his new blanket, and when he does that, I don't give it back to him.  I also will sleep with the blanket every once in a while so it has my scent and soothes him.  This worked better for us, because we also tried just putting things in the crib with him.  I think he just needed to be "introduced" to the blanket slowly.  Hope that helps...good luck!

Offline catjones

• Showing Appreciation 0
Try cold turkey!
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2005, 12:10:26 PM »
We have just gone cold turkey with the pacifier 5 days ago - DS is 12 months old. He was waking several times at night and I'd pop it back in, but he often still cried for 30 minutes or more and I was suspicious that the pacifier was making this worse. Nonetheless, I was very very worried about losing it, as we relied on it heavily for getting him off to sleep.
First night, we put him to bed without it, he cried and we did PUPD for 30 minutes before he went to sleep (standing up at the side of his cot!) That was hard. However, he slept from 8pm to 6am (first time ever) that night! He only had a brief cry and put himself back to sleep at 4am. He took 10-15 minutes to go off to sleep for his daytime naps the next day, but it was minimal stress, compared with what I'd been expecting. Next night he slept from 7pm to 5.30am. I can't believe how easy it has been. Last night he woke at 1am and didn't go back to sleep for half an hour, but that's the worst it's got.
He hasn't connected with any other comfort object so far. He has been a little more clingy during the day, but not upset - if anything, he's happier, and doesn't seem to miss the pacifier.
Good luck
catjones
Barnaby (Barney) born 6 July 2004

Offline sousafamilia

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2005, 22:07:26 PM »
I think we may end up waiting a little while and try the cold turkey method.

We're worried because most scenarios involving the pacifier involve the parent popping it back in during the night.  Our little guy's never been like that.  He seems to need it to get to sleep, but once he's asleep and it falls, he doesn't care, or occasionally, will just put it back himself.  

Does that still make it a 'prop'?
Steven and Maggie
Proud Parents of Ben and Xander

Offline catjones

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2005, 13:54:44 PM »
I guess you need to think about the reasons why you'd like to wean him off it. For me, it was partly cos I didn't like the look of it in his mouth and I was worried that he'd become more dependent on it during the day - interfering with speech etc.
I didn't think my bub was very attached to the paci, however as he got older he was more likely to wake up in the middle of the night and not be able to find it - crying for me to pop it back in.
People tell me it gets harder to wean after 12 months, as they often become more attached. That's why we took the plunge when we did.
Don't be too worried about going cold turkey - we figured we'd just try it for 3-4 days and we were prepared to return to the paci if we needed to  - luckily it wasn't necessary.

Offline georgia's mama

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2005, 16:51:38 PM »
we've been trying this too with our 14 month old and what do you do if PD doesn't work?  do you leave the room and keep returning?  she cries and cries but when we come in the room and try to sit on the floor she gets excited and wants to play...now we can't even get her to participate in any sort of wind down or cuddle before naps or bedtime...she didn't anp at all yesterday and missed her am nap again today.
loving my baby girl

Offline catjones

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2005, 02:26:53 AM »
We tried it for the first time at his normal bedtime when he was tired, as it was easier then. I couldnt' stay in the room with Barney or he'd just get excited, so had to leave - I popped back in every 5 minutes and lay him back down. Probably needed to do this 15 times on the first night and he got better after that. For daytime naps, he's also been a little variable. Just then, he cried for 20 minutes before his morning nap - again, I only went in every 3-4 minutes and stayed til he stopped crying, then left him to it.
I guess it's a variation of CIO, but it worked!
Have you thought that she might be getting old enough to drop her daytime nap altogether? - some bubs do it anytime after 12 months. Or maybe just hang out for just one nap around 12 or 1pm?

Offline georgia's mama

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2005, 02:57:14 AM »
a little while ago we thought she was goin to one nap so we did this whole transition thing and she ended up only needing more sleep so i think it's more related to her paci.  tonight on the advice of a  friend we cut a wee hole in her paci and we will see how that goes, apparently they don't like it much after and will get rid of it on their own...has anyone heard of this?
loving my baby girl

Offline Nathan's mom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2005, 04:05:15 AM »
I have not heard of cutting a tiny hole in the paci but I have heard of cutting the tip off so that they cannot suck on it as easily.  I think the tiny hole idea sounds good.  I just started weaning Nate of the paci tonight because he stayed with his Grandma overnight and she didn't use it at all.  This blew my mind and got me thinking that maybe I'm using it as a prop.

Typically I hold him in my lap and read to him and rock him and lay him down awake for naps and bed but without the paci he would not stay in my lap.  He cried and fussed.  I tried rocking and singing until I just layed him down in his crib.  My husband and I did pu/pd for 15 minutes and then he went to sleep.  I think the naps will be difficult tomorrow without it but I'm going to stick with it for 3-4 days and see how it goes.  

After he turned 1 year he seemed to want the pacifier more so I started using it for sleep only.  But now, he whines for it and then runs around happily when he has it.  He has a lovey so I feel more comfortable taking the paci away knowing he still has a familiar comfort.
Nathan was born June 28, 2004.

Offline Kori

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2005, 23:34:47 PM »
Any word on how the hole cutting worked? I have an 11 mo. attached to it during sleep times. She won't cry for it though. She will pop it back in her own mouth at night. So really it doesn't bother me just the thought of breaking her of it later does.

Offline momofnewbaby

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2005, 14:55:25 PM »
Just wanted to touch base and ask did the hole cutting help in eliminating the use of the pacifier. My dd is 8 months old, and since her surgery has become dependent on it, waking up 4-5 times a night for me to put it back in. I don't want her to use it any more since its creating havoc with both our sleeps, but can't go cold turkey on her yet, since she's still recovering from the surgery. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Mother of a textbook/touchy baby