Author Topic: Feeling guilty - think I may have started solids too early....  (Read 1953 times)

Offline Jusser

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Feeling guilty - think I may have started solids too early....
« on: February 16, 2006, 09:34:46 am »
 :(
My LO will be 6 months old on Sunday and I started him on a small amount of solid food at around 18 weeks.  This was contrary to my best intentions, I had wanted to exclusively breastfeed until 6 months as I had read a lot about it and all the good advice was to hold on for as long as possible.  HOWEVER at around 16 to 17 weeks he started really fussing/breaking off when feeding, and seemed very frustrated when my breastmilk wasn't flowing quickly enough. I know demand feeding can increase supply, but he was simply pulling off and crying so he wasn't giving me an opportunity to produce more.  I spoke to my public health nurse as I really wanted to continue solely breastfeeding but this was really getting me down, and she said I could maybe start him with a bit of fruit as baby rice can be constipating.  Initially he wasn't interested in the food (a sign he wasn't ready I now feel) but soon he was tucking in and now he refuses NOTHING !  The problem?? Really bad intestinal cramp and wind - also heading towards constipation but not quite.  He gets this after nearly everything I give him.  I am keeping a food diary and I know that certain things - bananas, rice, apples, even sweet potatoes etc. can be constipating so I avoid them.  I have tried stopping food for a couple of days and he was still windy (he tends to be anyway) but better.  Maybe his digestive system just wasn't ready for food?   I feel inclined to stop giving him food again, but now he is almost 6 months I feel that nutritionally he will need some solids from now on.  I am just really annoyed with myself for starting him in the first place, if I had just gone with my instincts and kept him on solely breastmilk he probably wouldn't be suffering, and now I am worrying about allergies in the future.  Oh, and this is also affecting his sleep, day and night. If he is bad it can take an age to settle him to sleep, then he can wake 25 minutes into a nap and I have to pick him up, wind him and put him back down.

Wish I could turn back the clock but alas we only get one chance at this game !  Anyone have any advice on how I can go about alleviating the poor little man's troubles :'(.  I rub his back which brings up wind and bicycle his legs to get it out the other way, also breastfeeding brings out some wonderful noises :o - but avoiding it in the first place would be better. :)
Help please.....
Justine - Mum to my gorgeous Happy Lion.

s_olano00

Re: Feeling guilty - think I may have started solids too early....
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 10:57:01 am »
Justine, when AK was about 4 months and I had terrible problems with breastfeeding, I also got the advise from my midwife to start my DD in solids. I was stubborn and instead, I decided to give her hipoallergenic formula.

I am no expert, but maybe you could check with your pediatrician or maybe a gastroenterologist to see if you need you change your LO's diet, or at least get a medicine that will improve the wind/cramps.

I hope things improve soon.

Offline Jusser

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2006, 10:17:43 am »
Thanks Stacy for your words of comfort, as you say "what is done is done" but I am giving him a few days break from solids just to see whether things improve.  I also started to wonder whether he is sensitive to something in my milk, I drink a lot of Soya milk and did during pregnancy so this could be a possibility? I considered giving up the Soya but first I am going to do the no food thing and see what difference it makes, then if there is no improvement it could be my milk.... :(. I will try the exercises you mentioned and the hot water bottle sounds like a great idea.  :)
Will report back in a few days !
Cheers.
Justine - Mum to my gorgeous Happy Lion.

Offline annas mum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 45
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2006, 16:17:08 pm »
Something you might find helpful when your LO does go back on solids - dried apricot puree is one of the bast movers around!! I mix a cube in with my DS's rice and he will "go" about 2 hrs later!
If you really want to get them moving just give the apricot puree on its own - 2-4 ice cubes (organic unsulphered) and it yeilds the best results!!

HTH

CLare

Mum to Anna 2 ys and Nathan 24 weeks

Offline kezzi78

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2006, 19:12:48 pm »
 :D Please dont feel guilty, i think as mothers are whole life is one long guilt trip from the minute they are born. You could also add a couple of dried prunes in with apple or pear, cook and then put through the hand mixer..... i can guarantee constipation tends to fly out the window.....

good luck
Amelie Grace's mum

Offline beccarman

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 29
  • happy families!!
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2006, 20:28:45 pm »
i agree with the prune advise!! i just used tinned prunes, its so simple as they don't need cooking, just make sure you get ones in fruit juice and not syrup as it'll be too sugary.

also, don't feel guilty, i started my dd on solids later than you but she still had a bit of consitaption and really having to push poos out for a while after we started the solids so it might be a common thing, the shift form milk to solids is a big one for their little tummies.

could you try some of the things for baby colic? that might help his wind.

your ds will be fine, just keep trying lots of different fruit and veg and i'm sure he'll be fine!!