Author Topic: teething creating sleep problems??  (Read 1927 times)

Offline Mommy in Moose Jaw

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
teething creating sleep problems??
« on: March 08, 2006, 04:50:33 am »
Hi there.  I just wanted to see if this is a common teething issue.  DD cut her first tooth the day before yesterday.  Her symptoms were off and on for nearly two weeks before that.  When it got to the couple days before eruption and now we are a couple of days after eruption her sleep patterns have tanked.  I think tooth #2 is on the way as well.  We've had to go back to supported sleep for naps (getting her through the first sleep cycle) and she often wakes at night for up to two hours and isn't really upset just has an awful time getting back to sleep.  It's like when we started sleep training a few months ago.  She is in a fantastic mood all the while she is awake which blew me away as ds was MISERABLE with teething, dd just has a terrible time sleeping.  She does have other symptoms like chewing, drooling, rosy cheeks, loose bm's, etc. I'm glad she isn't miserable, just curious if others have seen this combination of teething symptoms?

Offline branwen

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 21
Re: teething creating sleep problems??
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2006, 15:36:37 pm »
oh,yes ;D  very common.  teething makes all our naps short and last night it took 2 hrs to get her off to bed :'(

Hang in there!  We are doing a combination of homeopathic and ibuprofen which seems to help her, but as soon as it breaks through the surface she goes back to her normal pattern...although right now I'm convinced she won't even though experience at the 7-8 month mark tells me she will ;)
Branwen
Mama to Eirwen 1/22/05

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2006, 23:34:42 pm »
Thanks for the reply.  Even though this isn't a lot of fun right now, it is reassuring to know there isn't something larger going on.  I was rather curious as this was not the teething experience we had with ds.  Like you, we took a long time to settle dd the other night, 2.5 hours to be exact, and as I said, many nights there is a 1.5-2 hour stretch where she has trouble resettling. 

Since you had such a similar experience I was hoping to ask a couple more questions.  One is in regard to your use of meds like ibuprofen.  We've been using Tempra (acetaminophen -- sp??) generally every 4 hours, sometimes a little longer.  If she doesn't have it, she definitely doesn't sleep. We also use a drop of Orajel at the same time.  We're careful to not use either more than 4 times per day but I am a little concerned about having to use this for so many days in a row.  How do you address meds?  And what have you used for homeopathy?

Offline branwen

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2006, 16:41:22 pm »
Hi there!  We use kali phos and also calc phos (they are for tension headaches and bone growth).  It seems to really help her.  You can also try Hylands teething tablets which some moms swear by although I haven't had too much lately with them.  We use infants Advil for ibuphrofen as Tylenol/acetomenophen doesn't do anything for her. 

My rule with the homeopathy is very liberal, although my nanny whose mother is a homeopath says that you shouldn't use it for more than 3 months because then it can actually create symptoms.  She says a 3 month on/3 months off is a good rule.

With the ibuprofen I will only give it round the clock (every 6 hrs) for 1 week, then I will give it only at bedtime.  If this goes on for another week I stop altogether and see if she wakes throughout the night. I ALWAYS give it after or with food because it can be hard on the stomach.

It is so hard to give it all the time but if she is inconsolable and waking throughout the night I know it is helping her and that makes me happier.  Besides that- it DOES hurt to get teeth.  It is very uncomfortable for them.  If you remember getting wisdom teeth at all it is supposed to be like that! :P ::)
Branwen
Mama to Eirwen 1/22/05

Offline colenliam

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 11
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2006, 20:30:34 pm »
Hi,
I just wanted to recommend something for teething.
Ds is on his 6th tooth, they have been coming 1 right after another :P
I found for some reason Ds didn't sleep very well with advil, tempra, motrin etc, so I went to an all natural store(Health store) the other day and bought a product that has no medication in it and cause no side effects.  It is for teething and the symptoms that can go along with it like; pain, fever, diarrhea, and irritability.  Its called Consolin.  It comes in either a tablet or liquid(I bought the liquid.  You start of with 1ml every 15 to 20 mins for 3 doese and then 2-3 times daily as needed.
I am in Love.  Seriouly.  Ds son was so cranky and in pain yesturday, I started of with the 3 doese and about 10 mins after the first, not a whine.  Wasn't chewing like crazy, fussy, nothing.  It is so great.  Its a bit more pricey than advil but hey......whatever works.  It was like $11.99CAD.
Just thought I would let ya know :)
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2006, 03:03:22 am »
Thanks to both of you.  Those are helpful suggestions.  I am going to look into each to see if there is something that might work for us.  We actually stopped with the meds 3 days after eruption and her sleep was fine :o :o so I am rellieved to know that we likely won't have to give meds for more than 4-5 days in a row if this is her pattern.  Tooth #2 is coming however but even though she does still have symptoms, so far they are not as bad as tooth #1 -- maybe they get sort of used to it too?  Or maybe the worst is around the corner yet! ;)  As for the wisdom teeth, I can't really sympathize as I am nearly 30 and no sign of them yet!!  Knock on wood!

Offline colenliam

• BW Devotee
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2006, 03:31:31 am »
They say that after they cut the first one then it is easier for them until their molers.
Now with Ds we had a horrible time with his 1st as he cut his 2 bottom teeth on the same day and had his 6 month needles.  The others were okay but he just cut his 6th tooth yesterday and that has been the worst so far.
Poor little things.  Thank God we don't remember our first year of life. :)

Offline branwen

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2006, 21:18:05 pm »
colenliam- I am so looking into that!  Is it similiar to the Camilia by Boiron?

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=33072&catid=26946&trx=PLST-0-SRCH&trxp1=26946&trxp2=33072&trxp3=1&trxp4=0&btrx=BUY-PLST-0-SRCH

Also Mommy in Moose Jaw - if lo will let you, you can massage the gums with your finger or wash cloth.  Or I give her a little toothbrush and sometimes she chews on it herself, even the wrong end with the grippies seem to help her.

Oh, I've also been giving her Biter Biscuits.  She loves them!   ;D
Branwen
Mama to Eirwen 1/22/05

Offline colenliam

• BW Devotee
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2006, 06:01:52 am »
I am not sure??
I have seen that in the drug store before though.  This stuff is made by Dolisos.  I could only find it in the nature plus health store.
These are the ingredients
Plantago major
Belladonna
calcarea phosphorica
Chamomilla Vulgars
Coffea Cruda
Rheum Officinale
Borax