Author Topic: can a morning nap be too long?  (Read 1228 times)

Offline Parker's Mom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: June 05, 2006, 20:23:49 pm »
My daughter, Parker, is ten weeks old.  She goes down for bedtime (awake) at 10 pm and generally sleeps until 4:30 am. Eats and then goes back down around 5:00 until somewhere between 7:30 and 8:00.  In the earlier part of the mornings, she is usually only up for about an hour and then is ready to go back down.  For the past three days, she has gone back down after eating at around 9 and has been sleeping until 2 or 2:30 in the afternoon.  Is that too long of a morning nap?
Like I said, this is a new thing and just started a few days ago.  Normal routine was just up around two hours and then back down for a nap with no set nap times.  When she naps at other times through the rest of the day, the naps are usually only 30 minutes to an hour.
Is that super long morning nap preventing her from sleeping completely through the night?   
Should I start trying to move her bedtime up? 
What time SHOULD she be going to bed? I read about the people who put their children down at like 7:00 pm-- should I be trying that this early?  The 10pm bedtime is working for us now but should I start moving the bedtime up even though she is not sleeping until 6 or 7 in the morning yet?
Any suggestions or advice would be wonderful.  Thanks!
By the way, she sleeps in her crib at night, the super long nap is in my bed, and other naps are in her swing-- she does not like to nap in her crib and will only nap for 20  minute increments when put in there.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2006, 20:29:25 pm by Parker's Mom »

Offline Parker's Mom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 20:45:47 pm »
Thanks so much!!  I'll definitely give your suggestions a try.  Our pediatrician suggested the 10pm bedtime at 6 weeks old b/c we didn't really have a set schedule since she was sleeping so much then anyway.That was an attempt to start some sort of schedue and we haven't changed it since.
Should I immediately start a 7 or 730 bedtime or try to work backwards from the 10pm time in order to gradually adjust?

Thanks so much for the suggestion!!

Offline mena

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 19:26:17 pm »
Hi,

I just want to share my story with DS. Hope Stacy won't disagree with me too much.
At 10 weeks old, he also used to go to bed pretty late, 10 or 11 sometimes. Even if we tried to put him down at 7 or 8, it just didn't work. He slowly adjusted on his own, and it was until around the 16th week more or less, when he alone started to go down earlier. So I guess all I'm trying to say is try to put him down in 30 mins intervals and also follow his cues. Sometimes the ideal routine doesn't work straight away for all babies and they adjust on their own.

HTH
Mom to
- Star Wars fanantic 24/11/05
- Little Princess 11/2/08
- Big baby with Big Brown Eyes 31/07/10