EAT > Food Allergies

Milk/Soy Protein Intolerance - MSPI - READ HERE!!!

(1/89) > >>

GraceKellysmom:
* Please take a look at this thread first.  It has tons of information that you will need for MSPI.  A new thread has been started open to any post, questions, and help you may need.
Milk/Soy Protein Intolerance (MSPI) Part 2

Thanks, Wendy

Milk and/or soy protein intolerance (MSPI) describes a reaction to the PROTEINS (not lactose sugar) in milk and soy which damage the inside lining of the intestinal tract. The cause of this problem is not fully understood. Your child may be born with this intolerance or may aquire it later. It is also not the same thing as lactose intolerance in adults which is simply the inability to digest milk sugar (lactose) due to an enzyme deficiency. Babies with MSPI may also have a secondary intolerance to milk sugar as a result of intestinal damage already present. This intolerance to milk and soy PROTEIN is inhibited by a change in the cells or the gastrointestinal tract. Your child will probably outgrow this problem by late infancy or during the second year of life.

MSPI is diagnosed by a detailed history. Your child will be exhibiting one or more of the following symptoms: bloody stools, diarrhea with water loss, constipation, irritability (putting it mildly), weight loss or failure to gain, vomiting, appearing to be hungry all the time or refusal to eat at all. Eczema may also be the only symptom that a lot of kids with MSPI have. The doctor will question you as to the types of formula, if any, your infant has been on and how they reacted to each one. A description of the child's bowel movements is necessary. The doctor may elect to do an endoscopic examination. During this procedure, the doctor uses a lighted instrument to look into the small bowel and/or rectum. Damage (called colitis) is present if the lining is red, inflamed, or bleeding. Inflammatory changes may be noted on tissue samples obtained during this test. Less invasive testing can be done by obtaining a stool sample card to check for blood. It is the combination of the colitis with some of the symptoms listed previously which confirm the diagnosis of MSPI.

The treatment for MSPI is the removal of the offending milk and soy proteins when diagnosed. When diagnosed, most infants need to be on a strict milk and soy free diet until they are 9 to 24 months old. The best treatment is for mother to breastfeed and eliminate the proteins from her diet. Formulas which contain predigested proteins, such as Nutramigen, Alimentum, Pregestimil, Neocate, Tolerex, Vivonex Pediatric, or 3232A are utilized. (Approx 50% of these infants can tolerate one of these formulas. http://www.nutramed.com/digestion/ )

It is recommended that solid foods be delayed until the infant is 6 months old.

GraceKellysmom:
MILK FREE DIET
Avoid foods that contain any of the following ingredients:

*artificial butter flavor
*butter, butter fat, buttermilk
*casein
*caseinates (ammonia caseinate, calcium caseinate, magnesium caseinate, potassium caseinate, sodium caseinate)
*cheese
*cottage cheese
*curds
*custard
*half and half
*hydrolysates (casein, milk protein, protein, whey, whey protein)
*lactalbumin, lactalbumin phosphate
*lactoglobulin
*lactose
*milk (derivative, protein, solids, malted, condensed, evaporated, dry, whole, low fat, non fat, skim)
*nougat
*pudding
*rennet casein
*sour cream, sour cream solids
*sour milk solids
*whey (delactosed, demineralized, protein concentrate)
*yogurt
*brown sugar flavoring
*caramel flavoring
*chocolate, milk chocolate (cocoa butter is ok)
*high protein flour
*margarine
*natural flavoring
*Simplesse A "D" on a product label next to a "K" or circled "U" may indicate the presence of milk protein

SOY FREE DIET
Avoid foods that contain any of the following ingredients:

*miso
*shoyu sauce
*soy (flour, grits, nuts, milk, sprouts)
*soybean (granules, curd)
*y protein (concentrate, isolate)
*y sauce
*textured vegetable protein (TVP)
*tofu ingredients
*flavorings
*hydrolyzed plant protein
*hydrolyzed soy protein
*hydrolyzed vegetable protein
*natural flavoring
*vegetable broth
*vegetable gum
*vegetable starch

**Studies show that most soy allergic individuals may safely eat products containing soy lecithin and soybean oil

Nicole-Momtomegan:
thanks Stacy....

my milk supply is quickly decreasing, if im thinking of doing this..i need to know...
what can I eat?
can you give me some foods you eat regularly? i'm not good at this kind of stuff.
thanks
Nicole

GraceKellysmom:
Yes, I'm going to post what you CAN eat! (Please PM me if you notice something is not correct on this list or if ingredients have changed.)

Milk - rice milk, almond milk, oat milk (not goat's milk, the protein is similar to cows) Try to get enriched rice milk, it has the calcium you need. Rice Dream brand is good.

Butter - of course dairy butter and most margarines are out. But Fleishmans LIGHT margarine in the tub (blue lid) and Fleishmans UNSALTED margarine sticks (for baking) are both dairy/milk free. Mazola's unsalted sticks are MSP-free too. Blue Bonnet makes one variety that is ok.

Crisco - regular or butter flavor is ok

Cheese - no substitute. Every rice "cheese" I've found has milk casein in it.

Sour cream - same answer as cheese

Eggs - are fine. They are often labeled as "dairy" but should be tolerated.

Oils - nearly all oils are fine. Read labels and don't buy ones that say buttery taste.

Peanut Butter - many national brands contain soy protein. Albertson's brand was ok last time I checked. I use Skippy creamy and he tolerates it ok.

Mayonnaise/Miracle Whip - Should be fine.

Mustard - most varieties are fine

Brown sauces - most contain soy, so read labels carefully

Ketchup - most varieties are fine

Barbeque sauce - read labels carefully

Salad Dressings - look for non-creamy varieties. Kraft's Good Seasons Italian, Zesty Italian, and Herb Garlic powedered dressing mixes (mix with oil and water) are MSP-free

Hummus - great on breads, for sandwiches, or as a dip for chips/veggies. Be careful not to get a flavor with cheese in it.

Dips - most commercially packaged dips contain milk products. Hummus, bean and guacamole dips are good substitutes.

Crackers - Safe ones are Nabiscos Triscuits, Wheat Thins, Carrs crackers. Most pretzels, plain popcorn, saltines, plain tortilla chips are ok. Just read labels and stay away from flavored varieties.

Chocolate - unsweetened cocoa is safe for baking. Ghiradelli, Guittard, and Cloud Nine make safe semi-sweet chocolate chips, and Newman's Own has three flavors of semi-sweet chocolate bars: regular/dark, expresso, and sweet orange. Trader Joe's brand semi-sweet chips are ok too.

Candy - most gummy, chewy fruit candies are ok. No chocolate candy is soy free, however Junior Mints are milk-free. Watch out for caramel flavoring, it contains milk.

Cakes - make your own. DUNCAN HINES are no longer dairy-free, not a stinkin' one of them!

Icecream - Rice Dream has a great line of MSP-free frozen deserts. The vanilla ice cream bar dipped in dairy-free chocolate is my favorite!

Cereals - many are ok. Cheerios, Rice Chex, and Kix are all safe, keep reading labels.

Breakfast Bars - many flavors of Kelloggs Pop Tarts are ok, especially fruit flavored ones. Most other brands contain milk. Watch out for these - 400+calories a pack

Pancakes/Waffles - make your own. Bisquick is safe

Bagels - Brueggers makes several MSP-free bagels

Muffins, doughnuts - all contain milk products. Rhodes bread dough, sweet dough, cinnamon and orange rolls are all safe, but the frosting that comes in the frozen packs is not.

Pasta - most dried pasta is ok. Pasta Anytime in marinara is safe

Rice - dried rice is ok, as long as it is cooked in water. Most boxed mixes contain soy (like Rice'r'Roni) so read labels

Breads - most brands contain dried milk. A local bakery or making your own may be a better option. Rotella's brand makes many varieties without milk/soy. French or Italian breads may be safe, read labels. Two store-bought kinds that are MSP free are Iron Kids Bread and Earth Grains Extra Fiber 100% Whole Grain bread. Lots of breads at Whole Foods and Trader Joes are dairy/soy free.

***watch out for breadings, like chicken nuggets, breaded fish, etc. These almost always have milk.

Soups - most brands contain soy protein. Campbells Tomato soup is safe. Swansons Natural Goodness Low Sodium chicken and beef broths are safe, just add your own veggies and meat. Earth's Best makes a soy-free chicken noodle soup, it's only .38 at Walmart.

Fruits/Vegetables - fresh is always safe. Read labels on frozen to make sure it is just the vegetable, no sauce.

Meats/Fish - most fresh is ok. Some babies react to beef like they do milk protein, so watch for this. Some chicken is injected with "flavoring" or "broth" which contains soy protein. Smart Chicken brand is safe. Some processed beef, like premade hamburger patties, is injected with soy protein too. All meat substitutes, like tofu, Gardenburgers, Boca burgers, etc contain soy protein. Sliced meats, lunchmeat, hotdogs almost all contain MSP, but I have found a few higher priced brands to have safe varieties. Some sausage and bacon has MSP. BEWARE OF CANNED TUNA FISH, almost all contains soy.

Beans - most canned and dry varieties are fine

This website is a good read: http://web.mit.edu/kevles/www/nomilk.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Meal Ideas: (pm me for specific recipes)

Spaghetti, most jarred sauces are fine as long as they don't have cheese
Roast Beef in the crock pot with veggies
Meatball Minestrone ala Theosmom (pm me for the recipe if you don't have it)
Chicken Supreme (Chicken, potatoes, and a can of golden mushroom soup baked)
Chicken enchiladas (no cheese, Lawrys makes a soy free ench sauce)
(Guacamole makes any mexican night better!)
Chili Soup
Homemade chicken noodle soup
Sweet and Sour Turkey Meatloaf with sweet potatoes
Regular Meatloaf
Hamburgers on the grill
Pot Roast sandwiches (this is a crock pot recipe, very easy)
Apple Pie Pork Chops (baked pork chops with stuffing)
Black Bean and rice burritos
Salads with oil based dressings
Armenian Chicken (my crazy FILs recipe, grilled chicken marinated in Italian dressing)
Golden Hamburger Casserole (like a shepards pie)
Goolash (an old German recipe of tomato noodles and hamburger)
Sloppy Joes
Beef/potato turnovers (from our vegan mailing list)
Baked Ham or Turkey or Chicken
Barbeque Chicken
Runza sandwiches (cabbage and beef cooked in a pastry dough)
Breakfast for dinner (eggs, pancakes, waffles)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are some brand names for you, thanks to the MSPI website! Good as of 4/7/06

Subway- Turkey sandwich on Italian with veggies and mustard, and Baked Lays.

Chick-fil-a- Chargrilled Chicken sandwich and fries.

Wendy's- Homestyle chicken fingers and fries. (I think the nuggets have milk or soy).

Arby's- Market Fresh turkey sandwich w/o cheese and regular fries

Chipotle- Veggie burrito with salsa and guacamole. I think the chicken is fine too, but I don't care for it.

Papa John's- veggie pizza without cheese. Of course, it is not as great as cheese pizza, but it is not bad.

Orowheat 100% Whole Wheat Bread
Orowheat whole wheat hamburger buns
Mission Fat Free Tortillas
Honey Maid Graham crackers
Old El Paso Taco Shells
Sara lee Cinnamon Raisin Bagels
Bushes Vegetarian Baked Beans
Old El Paso Refried Beans
Marinated artichoke hearts
Low Sodium Wheat Thins
Pace Picante Sauce
Whole Wheat Pasta
Concord Foods Roasted Potato Seasoning
Duncin Heinz white frosting and cake mix (They may have changed the ingredients for the cake and brownie mixes)
Humus
Toasted Oh's Cereal
Walmart's Great Value Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal
Walmart's Great Value Nature's Grain Cereal
Cascadian Farms Organic Cinnamon Raisin Granola
Avo Classic Guacamole
McCormick's Fajita Seasoning
Oscar Mayer Oven Roasted Turkey
Oscar Mayer Honey Roasted Turkey
Oscar Mayer Smoked Sausage
Lipton Fiesta Sides Spanish Rice
Mahatama Saffron Rice
La Choy Sweet and Sour Sauce
Shake and Bake Original Chicken
Jiffy Corn and Blueberry muffin mix (make with rice milk)
Kraft Light Catalina Dressing/ Fat Free Italian
Fleischmann's Light
Smart Balance Spread
Van's Organic Blueberry waffles
Ritz crackers and sticks
Regular Oreos
Uh oh Oreos
Golden Oreos
Vienna Fingers
Newman's Organic dark chocolate

GraceKellysmom:
Love this book : The Milk/Soy Protein Intolerance (MSPI) Guidebook/Cookbook by Tamara Field

And more brand names that are ok:

Burger King Whopper Jr/Whopper are MSP free (no cheese) Bun is questionable now, so are fries!
Culver's Chicken Strips are MP free (but may have soy)
McDonalds has no current SAFE foods (apple pies are dairy free)
Arby's Chicken Strips are MSP free, regular fries are ok but curly are not
Chipolte Mexican Grill vegetarian burritos are MSP free (no cheese, sourcream)(Guac is ok)
Wendy's quarter pound single is ok without the cheese

Go to http://www.godairyfree.org to find a more current list

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version