ACTIVITY > Activity Time & Toddler Activity

HELP!! 1 year old doesn't imitate - no clapping, no waving

<< < (3/4) > >>

sammiesmummie:
we put ourselves under so much pressure! I used to get really upset when i read development books and sam's not doing what 'he's supposed to do' but i've really chilled out now and i'm just letting him do his own thing and doing everything i can to encourage him when he does cool things.

sedona314:
Gabrielle:

Matty is almost 18 months and he barely said Mama or Dada at a year old.   He was NOT clapping or pointing or waving at all, when a lot of the other kids were, so I was a tiny bit concerned.  But around a month later he started to clap and then he started to wave.  We are still waiting for words, but I've talked to so many moms that have told me their lo started talking at 2 that Im not worried.  In short, my lo couldnt do ANY of the stuff you mentioned at his one year, and I do agree that a lot happens between a year and a year and a half.  At around 14 months he started to point and try to repeat things (he is making lots of sounds but no words yet) and he took a huge leap in development. I think that if we are not too worried about what they should be doing, we can actually really enjoy watching them develop at their own pace.  Its so incredible.

Julie

GabrielleD:
Sammiesmummie and Julie,

Thank you so much for your encouragement. I think I am at the point now that I am just ticked off at the pediatrician's office for having some really unrealistic expectations. I am even wondering if the nurse accidentally picked up the question sheet for an 18-month old instead of a 1year-old. For example, one of the questions that they asked (which of course I answered "No" to) was whether DS plays with other kids. Well, I took him to Play Partners at the library yesterday and most of the kids were older than he (I know that two little girls were 18 months, and some of the kids looked even older). Well, NONE of the kids played with other kids. They were basically in their own little worlds, occasionally "stealing" the toys from the other kids, and withdrawing back into their own world. And to think...I was starting to feel guilty that DS didn't play with other kids!! I am just not going to worry about it, and enjoy DS as he is. I'll work on waving to him and clapping, but I am not going to stress over this anymore. Thank you all for all of your help!!!

dandandan:
Hello,

I know this post is old. However, my baby at one year old also is not imitating, clapping, pointing or waving.
I was wondering if the original poster can update on how his/her child is doing today. I'm really worried.

Thanks in advance.

weaver:
Hey hun, this really is an old post and I don't think the OP is around the site any more.  I hope you can read over the responses and realise that everyone agreed that baby sounded totally normal, and the expectations a bit silly.  Not every baby does every thing exactly when they are "supposed" to, I really wouldn't worry. But if you're concerned and would like to chat about it, it might be a good idea to start a new thread.  I can tell you that neither of my babies were talking or walking at 1 yo, I didn't notice them waving or clapping particularly either :) but they were doing lots of other things and were bright and happy, and still are at ages 3 and 5.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version