ACTIVITY > Activity Time & Toddler Activity

HELP!! 1 year old doesn't imitate - no clapping, no waving

<< < (2/4) > >>

GabrielleD:
Thanks for putting things into perspective!! This really helped!!

mum101:
Your DS may well know how to do those tasks, just choose not to.  A friend of mine has a 1 1/2 and he doesn't really talk.  Rarely he will come out with 'how are you' and then next utterance will be 'ga'!  I'm certain he knows his words, but that's not a focus for him. 

GabrielleD:
Thanks all of you for your help. DH and I realized that the situation may not be as bad as we initially imagined (oh, we are VERY good at imagining worst case scenarios). He does bang stuff that he holds in each hand together, so now we just have to get rid of the things in his hands and teach him to clap his hands together. Also, we realized that we have just not waved to him much, so he would have had no way of learning that. So, our plan is now lots of clapping and waving at home, and I will take him to the library's Play Partners group once a week for more stimulation.  :)

Nikki~Nathanamp;Danielle:
This happened to me with dd. I thought she wasn't doing a bunch of stuff her brother did at the same age - but when I looked at it, I was interacting with her so much differently. When I sat down and concentrated on things with her, she picked them up amazingly fast - so it wasn't that she couldn't, we just hadn't exposed her to the opportunities (and she was busy doing a bunch of other stuff ds didn't do at the same age anyway).

As for walking and geting dressed?? Well dd is almost 16mths and only just starting to think about walking, getting dressed - does it count if she lifts her arms to put them into sleeves or are they thinking they actually put clothes on themselves? :o Talking - well we get a lot of garbled conversation, but maybe only 10 words that dh and I can understand along with mama and dada which anyone could figure out.

GabrielleD:
Thanks, Nikki. I am glad someone else went through the same thing. I guess up til now DH and I were so focused on teaching/encouraging DS the "important" stuff like reading, talking, walking, etc. that we didn't think of things like clapping or waving as being important to teach. Also, he is going to be an only child so I really need to make sure that he is exposed to kids regularly, so he/I can see what other things we need to focus on. Thanks for the encouragement - it really helped. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version