Author Topic: Constipated on soy formula - how to relieve?  (Read 18855 times)

Offline LaurenJadeMom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 8
  • I only look innocent!!
Constipated on soy formula - how to relieve?
« on: September 04, 2006, 00:37:29 am »
My 19.5 week old LO switched to soy formula about 2 weeks ago.  Prior to that she had been using Good Start, but was incredibly gassy and would not poop for 2-3 days at a shot, which made her so uncomfortable.  She was mostly bf until I went back to work 5 weeks ago (had only 1 bottle a day), then for 4 weeks had 3 bottles a day (50-50 formula and bm), and for the past week is having all bottles with 75-25 formula to bm).  I am weaning bfeeding so only have enough bm in the freezer to last about another week.   

She did great on the soy for the first week or so, was pooping regularly and not nearly as gassy or fussy.  However, over the past 3-4 days, she has really been straining to poop, and the little that has come out each day has been very thick.  I've been reading that soy can be constipating, plus I'm sure now that she has been getting more formula than bm, that is contributing to the problem. 

Before trying the soy, I tried Alimentum, but she gagged it up and would not really take it.  I'm not sure if I should try to relieve the constipation with the soy formula (which is bound to get worse within the next week or so as we go to 100% formula), or if I should try to switch her to the Alimentum again.  I'm running out of bm to mix it with (which has helped when introducing formula in the past), so appreciate any wisdom/experience anyone has to offer.  My LO has silent reflux and is on meds for it so it is under control.

Also, can anyone recommend how to relieve the constipation based on experience?  I'm worried she will never sleep tonight because she is so uncomfortable.

Thanks much!
Dee

Offline Kimberly®

• Showing Appreciation 126
Re: Constipated on soy formula - how to relieve?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2006, 01:05:36 am »
Have you tried a lactose free formula at all? What did your doctor recommend?
Good start is made with Way and can be irritating to some LO's tummies. Did you try any other brands? Different formula's are made with different ingredients and you may find your LO doesn't need soy, just a different brand. We tried 4 different formula's before we found one. We ended up using Parents Choice, the Walmart brand in US and Canada.
otherwise we were told 2-3 oz of prune juice in the AM, either mixed into the formula or separate would help constipation.
Going only every 3-5 days is normal on formula.

Kimberly

Offline jasmynesmum

• Showing Appreciation 38
  • Being a mummy is the best gift in the world.
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2006, 01:18:51 am »
My daughter was on Soy based formula and had terrible constipation...  she also had silent reflux...

Dealt with the constipation first by feeding her prunes (gerber 1st foods) and within a couple of days she was pooping daily and enjoying life again... 

then dealt with the reflux by switching to Enfamil Nutramigen...  this is a formula for fussy colicky babies (which mine was not) but within two feeds the reflux had completely vanished!  I was against giving meds so pediatrician recommended this and it has worked like a dream....  since this time constipation has gone too.... we no longer feed her prunes!  Coincidence????  who knows.............  but I sure like it!!!!
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline LaurenJadeMom

• Showing Appreciation 8
  • I only look innocent!!
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2006, 01:36:38 am »
Thanks for the quick responses! 

Before trying soy, we tried giving her Alimentum for a few bottles, which is also lactose free, but she hated it.  We have not tried regular lactose-free formula.  Is that better smelling/tasing than the Alimentum?   Our ped gave us samples of the Alimentum.  I imagine that at almost 5 months, it's going to be difficult to get her to try something new unless she likes the taste, especially since I won't have the breast milk to mix with it to sweeten.

I also am not adverse to trying Nutramigen, and would love it if I could get her off the meds for the silent reflux.  But I have been told that it tastes like dirt, so how am I going to get her to accept it?  If she's hungry enough will she really eat anything? 

Dee

Offline jasmynesmum

• Showing Appreciation 38
  • Being a mummy is the best gift in the world.
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2006, 11:39:51 am »
I really don;t know whether your daughter will like the taste of the nutramigen.,..  I never had a problem switching my DD BUT thats not to say yours may not like it.... ???
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline litomi

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 27
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2006, 12:46:09 pm »
Do you want to try HA formula? The protien is smaller and easier to digest for babies (more similar to BM) and causes less allergy reaction.
I once put some chest rub (contains methol) on my DD's belly and give her massage (clockwise), bicycle her legs, then feed. It worked!

Offline Kimberly®

• Showing Appreciation 126
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2006, 14:10:16 pm »
I know a lot of people are worried about smell and taste of formula but your LO's taste buds are not fully developed at this age, they still only have basic tastes like sweet and sour.
BM is very sweet (so I've hear) that can make the switch harder sometimes, sometimes not. I've never tried formula myself but my DD seems to like them all.
The problem with soy is that it's a high risk for allergies, as much as if not more then milk, and it can cause constipation.
Try a regulare loctose free formula and see if she'll take that. I'm not sure where you are but there are many brands, pretty much every brand has a lactos free version.
All else fails talk to your doctor again.
Kimberly

Offline LaurenJadeMom

• Showing Appreciation 8
  • I only look innocent!!
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2006, 15:50:00 pm »
Thanks to everyone for all the input.  This morning I tried to give her the HO Alimentum mixed with bm (50/50).  Bless her little heart, she tried so hard to drink it because she was hungry.  Kept trying to suck, then it would come back up, dribbling all over her chin.  After 15 minutes she could only manage an ounce.  Because I had no formula in the house other than soy, I made a second bottle that was 50/50 soy and Alimentum with a bit of bm.  She took that pretty well and seemed to tolerate it much better.  I don't know whether to keep on like that and slowly decrease the soy, or to go to the store and get a regular lactose free formula to try.  Of course it's a holiday so I can't reach my pediatrician until tomorrow to ask.

She's still straining to poop so I know she must be so uncomfortable.  :(   I've tried bicycling her legs, warm bath and massaging her belly.  I'm afraid to try prune juice without input from her pediatrician.  She amazingly slept 10 hours straight last night so I'm thankful she at least got some rest.