Author Topic: Can the transition from formula to cows milk cause constipation?  (Read 133108 times)

Offline nwmm

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 61
Can the transition from formula to cows milk cause constipation?
« on: December 11, 2006, 01:20:27 am »
Can the transition from formula to cow's milk cause constipation?  I have not changed my lo diet in any other way.   She has been on all cow's milk for the past day or day and a half.

She is getting less milk, based on the Dr. advice,  compared to formula and the amount of water in formula.  Of course, I try to get a lot of water in her and am trying to feed her foods that don't cause constipation.

Thanks for your help!! :)

Offline Lana

• Dragon Lady
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 1103
  • Red Ninjini
Re: Can the transition from formula to cows milk cause constipation?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 01:21:50 am »
Hey I am just going to move this over to eating for toddlers for you ;D

Offline * Paula *

• Showing Appreciation 426
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 22:21:48 pm »
TBH I am not sure on this one.

When we introduced cows milk to our DS - we had the opposite effect, my DS's bowel movements were about 5-6 a day and a very soft consistency sorry if TMI.

I guess it could work either way, as all lo's are different.

When our DS suffered from constipation we found that offering him some prune juice or orange juice helped get things going.

Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007

Offline Mydreamcametrue

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2006, 01:44:45 am »
OH YES it can cause constipation.  My son was on a Hypo-allergenic formula until 8 mos. old and then Lactose Free Formula (which is made from cows milk).  Anyhow he became so so constipated. 

At 12 months old we switched to Whole milk and he was much more constipated, so bad he would scream in pain.  We had to do milk of magnesia and lots of juice.  I am not sure where you are, but I found a juice that was EXCELLENT.   PLUM JUICE.  That really helped him.

After about 1 week on cows milk, I switched him to Lactose Free Whole Milk and he was still constipated. Finally after about 3 weeks things loosened up and then got looser and looser and looser.  He was at the point he was having several diaherra diapers a day with lots of mucus.

So I have been there with both sides and have read that a cows milk intolerance/ allergy can cause either or.

I would give it a week or so more though.  Sometimes it can just be the transition also.  If things don't improve, I would think of other options, maybe soy milk.

Hope this helps and good luck!
Wendy
Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

Offline nwmm

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2006, 13:16:13 pm »
Thanks so much.  Everyone has been looking at me like I am crazy when I ask.

Interesting about the week transition.  Things have been better, but she still needs some help.  The Dr. did mention Milk of Magnesia.  Now, it is just a matter of getting the proportions right.  You know, not too much prunes/prune juice/apple juice/milk of magnesia. 

Please tell me about the plum juice.  I am in the US.

Offline Mydreamcametrue

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2006, 17:18:50 pm »
Good, sounds like it might just be the transition then.  That is great news.

Here is a link for the Plum Juice.

http://store.sunsweet.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=store&Product_Code=274&Category_Code=JUICE

I found it at Wal-mart.  Sometimes it was hard to find, so I stocked  up on it.  It helped so much and it is very good.  Much better than plum juice.  My son got to the point that is the ONLY juice he liked. 

Let me know if you find some. 

Wendy
Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

Offline nwmm

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2006, 01:24:30 am »
Thanks very much.  I will look this weekend.  The brand looks very familiar

She seems to be constipated again....but I also discovered she is getting a cold and teething so I am sure none of that is helping.

Did prunes (not prune juice) help your son at all? 

How long has he been drinking the juice?  I heard people can become used to some (laxative) foods so that they no longer help.  I am going to review the laxative foods listed somewhere on the BW website.

Again, thank you!

Offline motherof3

• Andrea, Paul, Jackie, Payton and Abby
  • Showing Appreciation 21
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2006, 01:43:43 am »
My first DD got so constipated when we swiched her to cow's milk at 12months.  She had been on soy then Lacto-Free formula prior.  She ended up in the ER b/c she had blood in her stool. :'(  I swore that it was the milk allergy causing the issue but every doc thought I was crazy.  She started seeing a pedi GI at 2 and has been on Miralax since then.  She will be 6 in March. 

About a year ago I took her to an allergy doc and told him about the constipation and he said that it is the #1 sign of a milk allergy!  I knew all along that was it b/c constipation started right when we intro the milk.  And as soon as I started eliminating the milk from her diet I had to use less and less Miralax.  But she still has to be on the Miralax b/c she is such a picky eater and milk is in everything! 
So when my middle dd, Payton, turned 1 we decided to wait till 18 months to intro milk.  This helped but I still suspect that she has a slight milk allergy.  Too much in one day and she is also plugged up but not as sensitive as Jackie.  She is now also on Miralax also.  And Abby def has a milk/soy protein intolerance and in on Neocate which is amino acid based formula.  So trying to switch to milk should be fun. ::)

One thing that the pedi GI told us about is pear juice.  Pears are a natural laxative and have worked great in our house.  Gerber pear juice is the only kind that I think is available.  Both Jackie and Payton get a sippy full in the morning along with the Miralax. 

Just wondering, what type of formula was your dd on?

Good Luck, I hope you find something that helps.

Andrea
Jackie 3/10/01
Payton 9/23/03

Offline nwmm

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2006, 01:52:55 am »
I only have a second at the moment so sorry this is so short.

My dd was on Similac. Now, she is taking Oberweiss whole milk.

Are your dd allergic to milk vs. lactose intolerant?

THANK YOU.

Offline motherof3

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2006, 02:39:55 am »
Were her poops normal on the milk based formula?  You wouldn't think she would have a problem since she was on a milk based formula.  But then again Payton was also on Similac and still is allergic to milk, I suspect.  It is def a milk allergy and not lactose intolerance.  I tried the lacto free milk and it didn't make a difference.

BTW, Jackie now takes desensitization drops for her allgeries.  I hope this makes a difference. 

Andrea
Jackie 3/10/01
Payton 9/23/03

Offline nwmm

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2006, 14:13:35 pm »
Hello.

Yes, she was pretty regular when she was on Similac and when she was BF.  I thought the same thing to...if she was okay on  milk based Similac and BF could she be allergic to milk?  Anyone know that answer?

I have talked to the Dr. about being constipated and she is not concerned (right now???).  I do like her, think she is knowledgeable, and agree with her approach on most subjects so I will just continue to watch things and see what happens. 

I was wondering what made other mother's suspect their lo were allergic to milk?  Mother's intuition?  Long term problem?  Started right when you introduced milk?  I know some of you have already answered those questions.

Wendy - do you know why your lo was on both sides of the coin?

Could whole milk cause more constipation then a 2% or skim milk?

And, does anyone know the medical definition of being constipated?  My had trouble pooping (sorry!) right when I switched her over from formula.  We got her "cleaned out" and things were okay for a few days.  Now, the poop is hard(er) and not as soft.  It is harder for her to poop.

Thanks everyone!

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2006, 22:47:01 pm »
Definitely sounds like your lo is consitpated.  Our DS suffered terribly from constipation and we found that offering him some bananna a day helped him clear out.  Banana is what they call a mirical fruit, it can either constipate or can help with bowel movements.  It worked for us.

We have also used prune juice which helps really well.

It can be so uncomfortable for your lo, and is so hard to see them struggling.

Please keep us posted on how she is doing.  :-*

Offline motherof3

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2006, 23:51:32 pm »
Paula-  That is funny about banana b/c it constipates all of my girls. ::)

Andrea
Jackie 3/10/01
Payton 9/23/03

Offline nwmm

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2006, 00:19:48 am »
...and that is the only food that causes my lo to get sick to her stomach.    :o

Truly glad it works for you guys!  ;D

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2006, 12:36:44 pm »
Wow it is amazing how different foods work for different babies.