Author Topic: Can't get 3 month old to DreamFeed  (Read 859 times)

Offline Aly Mac

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 162
  • Such joy!
Can't get 3 month old to DreamFeed
« on: January 16, 2007, 11:32:39 am »
Just read BabyWhisperer and want to try the dreamfeed as my 3 month has long sleeps at night but they start early (and hence I'm up at 3). I thought a dream feed would help - just tried it but she is fast asleep and doesn't even know my breast is there!  Any suggestions by anyone? Should I just forget the dream feed and be thankful that she sleeps from 8 till 3am?
thanks....
Aleesa.....

Offline litomi

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 27
Re: Can't get 3 month old to DreamFeed
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 11:48:11 am »
To DF with BF is quiet difficult. With bottle feed, you just need to push the nipple into LO's mouth. If your LO sleeps from 8-3 (7hr stretch), I will leave DF and let her sleep undisturbed. Because later on around 7mo. you have to drop DF anyways. My LO often wakes up around her DF time after we dropped it... and I've to W2S  :o

Offline samijoe

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 17:33:23 pm »
my dd started off this way too.  i finished reading bw at 2mths old....but she would already sleep 730-330.  i tried to df (bf too) with expressed milk, but found i ended up with many many nightwakings instead of the one time to feed.

if you don't mind getting up once to feed, i would keep it the way it is.  if you can get her to df and have success, great.

i too think it is easier to drop/push back the night feed than it is to wean the df, OMO.

sami

Offline VeroniqueD

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 17:58:18 pm »
I'm assuming you feed again at 3am? I would try to dream feed again unless it ultimately leads to nightwakings as in samijoe's case. If LO gets use to the 3am feed you will have to wean anyway, whether it be the dreamfeed or the 3am. 3am might be harder to wean? Would bottle feeding be an option, expressing milk of course. Have you tried pushing her chin down or using your finger to get sucking reflex into motion, once it kicks in try latching her on? Hope this helps.  :)

Offline malialeanne

• Showing Appreciation 19
  • Really, mom? More pictures?
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 18:11:09 pm »
I had the same problem with the df, now my husband feeds her a bottle of expressed milk. He says she is dead asleep but he just pushes the nipple in her mouth and away she goes.

You could also try using a breast shield for this feeding, it creates a bottle-like nipple on your breast that you can poke into her mouth and activate the sucking reflex.
Malia