Author Topic: Crib comfort vs crib safety  (Read 725 times)

Offline Elizabeth Robins

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 14, 2007, 03:55:32 am »
Hi everybody,

I'd love to hear from other people what you have in your baby's cribs.  Having been scared off by reading warnings & hearing stories, I no longer have anything in Baby Toby's (six months old) - never had a blanket (we use a sleep sack) and have removed the little toys I had in there.  It certainly seems very barren. He definitely sleeps better if he falls asleep on our bed, and I wonder if there is anyway of making a cozier sleeping surface in his crib, but still keeping it firm/hard enough to be safe, as recommended for SIDS reasons.

Also - two or three lovely people knitted us baby blankets for presents. You know the ones with lots of holes in them?  Are they safe to put in a crib?  Are any blankets?  I know lots of mummies who do put a blanket in, and the two grandmas swear babies sleep better on their backs with a nice blanket (which I can understand, because I think the weight of a duvet helps me go to sleep even in a heatwave) but I have so far been too worried about the stories I've heard of near-suffocation etc.

And what are your thoughts on a little 'friend' put in the crib - he's very attached to a little toy moose but it's a bit big so I've avoided putting it in there with him.  I do think that, because he still does the startle reflex so much, if he had a pal in there to grab on to or to hold as he slept, it might help that.  I hear others say their kids' friends are baby blankets, but again wonder if that is considered safe at a certain age?

Any ideas on how to make Toby's sleep environment cozy and sleep-inducing but still safe would be most welcome!

Thank you!

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
Re: Crib comfort vs crib safety
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 19:16:05 pm »
i think it's one of those gray areas that you need to make your own peace with.  i have always put the lovey friends in my babies cribs' pretty much from the start - always trying to create sleep associations!  ;)

blankets... *might* be okay, if they are those thin, receiving blankets that you can breathe through.  i probably would not do the afghans, just cause they could unravel & be a strangulation hazard.  truthfully, i never knew what to do with these!!  (however, they do make a pack n play verrrry soft when you pile them underneath the mat)
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy