Author Topic: Three Month Mark  (Read 8248 times)

Offline Molly2

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
Three Month Mark
« on: May 17, 2007, 08:14:28 am »
Hi Ladies,

I know the the percentage of people breast feeding drops massively after the 3 month mark.  Why do you think that is? 

I am just hitting this stage now.  We always struggled with feeding (first baby), we love it but my DD can't be persuaded to take any more than she wants and has always had problems with weight gain (even though she is bright/cheerful/active and can go 3hrs between feeds no problem).  If I try and feed her in between the 3hrs, she just has a few minutes drink - and then plays with me!! We have persevered - thanks to all the fantastic support I have received on this site.

I had been supplementing her with EBM (mainly but a little formula) top ups for around 4 weeks and gradually stopped around 2 weeks ago.  Unfortunately her weight gain has now decreased again (only 5oz in the last 2 weeks).  She was born 6lb13oz and is now 9lb8oz at 12 weeks.  I am trying everything I can to increase it in the next 2 weeks as I really don't want to go back to the top ups.  I have tried everything, from feeding 4 "sides"/breast compression/fenugreek.  I have come to the conclusion that its not a lack of supply problem, but that DD just takes as much as she needs and is happy with that (although she will take more from the bottle!).  As much as I love nursing and would like her to be exclusively breastfed, of course if I can't increase her weight gain, I will go back to topping her up.

Some of my friends from my antenatal group are having a diffcult time at the moment and they had never experienced problems with weight gain before.  One of them's DS is very difficult at night and is up between 1.30-4.30 and appears to be uncomfortable.  He is really happy during the day (when mainly upright).  Her doctor agreed it was worth considering silent reflux and they have started gaviscon.  However when weighed yesterday, he had gained 10oz in 2 weeks and the health visitor made my friend cry by saying this was not good enough, that she was not cut out for breast feeding, the reason he was awake in the night was because he was starving and that my friend should go home and do a yield and if she couldn't pump 6oz, she should quit breast feeding and switch to formula. 

I was absolutely horrified to hear this.  I'm not surprised that people don't continue breast feeding in this country (England) if this is the advice they receive.

I've read on these boards that there is a three month growth spurt - where do I find information on growth spurts.

Molly
Molly

DD Feb 2007
DS Jan 2009

Offline kerry,(kaceys mum)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 171
Re: Three Month Mark
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 09:22:31 am »
molly, sorry for what the health visitor said >:( >:( >:(, they just think that they are know it all, I'm in Scotland, they are exactly the same! i totally agree that there is no support in the UK to bf, its just not the norm here, however, hopefully because you are other around you may concider it! I'm not sure about the weight gain, but i do know that bf babies sometimes put on less weight than bottle fed, and i ges everychild will put on different from the next, some more than others! 10ounce in two weeks sounds good to me.hopefully someone else can give you all the ancers that you need, but as her mother, you know best for dd. i have also Reading here that doing a yield is not considered "reliable" anymore as baby takes much more than a pump ever could.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 09:24:08 am by kaceys mum »
Kacey. 06/02/2007
Kayla.  20/09/2008
Robbie 07/02/2012

Offline kerry,(kaceys mum)

• Showing Appreciation 171
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 09:27:32 am »
sorry, info on growth spurts are at the top of bf page in q&a link
Kacey. 06/02/2007
Kayla.  20/09/2008
Robbie 07/02/2012

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 09:52:02 am »
Molly - aren't HVs rubbish?  Mine's not much good either.  There's the odd good one around, but they appear to be few and far between.  My DS and I are in the same situation as you.  He averages about 2.5ozs per week.  We've been seeing a paed for about the last two months and with us it appears that DS was born 'too heavy' and is just finding his correct centile curve to match up with the one he's on for his length.  We're going back next week to see whether this is still the case, at which point I guess there might be tests or something done to see if there's a problem, or we may have to consider where we go in terms of continuing to BF.

To be honest, I think anyone who goes beyond the first week of BF should be applauded, so good on you for carrying on until 3 months and long may you continue!! :)
*** Amanda ***

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 865
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 10:37:17 am »
Molly, big {{{{{hugs}}}}}

I am so sorry you have been caused so much stress over weight gain.  Every baby gains differently and you need to look at more than just the weight.  Is she content and sleeping well?  Night feeds?  She can last 3 hours between feeds, I am pretty sure she is getting what she needs (she IS gaining... just slowly).

Babies will take more from a bottle if it is offered because it's there and easy (no work has to be done at all).  They will take it even if not hungry. 

Have you seen the new WHO growth charts?  (Amanda, you may find these very helpful as well.... never heard of a baby born "too heavy")
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=63598.0

And a yield is totally unreliable.... and to expect 6 oz  :o  I think the only time I ever expressed 6 oz was when I missed 2 feeds in a row when dd2 was 3 months old.... otherwise, I never expressed anywhere near 6 oz but was successful in bfing my girls.

Growth spurts can happen at any time... more info here:
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=66001.0

More {{{{hugs}}}}} you are doing a fabulous job bfing and congrats to making it this far.

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

Offline Molly2

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2007, 10:52:04 am »
Rachel, Fiver & KC's Mum

Thanks for your replies/sympathy and directions to the various links.

Fiver - you have massive sympathy from me too.  Its so stressful and you are torn between wanting to breastfeed because you know its best and the bonding/closeness is so special but you also know that you can't continue if its detrimental to the health of your baby. Its such a huge decision and so hard to know the right thing to do.

I am very stubborn and persistant (I think you need to be to breast feed) but I have to keep reminding myself that its not about ME and I have to do whats best for my little angel.  Its hard to accept that she's not getting enough food when she is generally such a happy/bright little thing.

The main thing is she seems healthy otherwise and is giving myself and DH endless pleasure.

Molly
Molly

DD Feb 2007
DS Jan 2009

Offline lisi's mum

• Showing Appreciation 155
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2007, 10:55:25 am »
Molly, I'm sorry you're getting such inconstructive help from your HV, you'd think the majority of them are sponsored by the formula making companies the way they go on. There are a couple things in your post that stand out:

DD can't be persuaded to take any more than she wants and has always had problems with weight gain (even though she is bright/cheerful/active and can go 3hrs between feeds no problem).  If I try and feed her in between the 3hrs, she just has a few minutes drink - and then plays with me!!

A baby never starved infront of a full plate (or boob in this case  ;)) you've ruled out a supply problem, she meets the normal criteria - happy etc, you kind of have to rely on the fact that she'll eat when she's hungry and won't when she's not. You didn't mention how many wet nappies you get in a 24 hr period, should be at least 6.

now I plotted her weight on the charts, and yes she is low, but is her height also very low? If height and weight are roughly in proportion to one another there shouldn't be a problem. Even if they aren't it's still rarely a problem, there are a lot of string beans out there! How about you and your dh, are you both on the small side?
(although she will take more from the bottle!)

Babies will take more from a bottle - they don't have to work for it, and that kind of overrides the "I've had enough trigger" AND breast milk has more calories and fat than formula, so they don't need as much.
However when weighed yesterday, he had gained 10oz in 2 weeks and the health visitor made my friend cry by saying this was not good enough, that she was not cut out for breast feeding, the reason he was awake in the night was because he was starving and that my friend should go home and do a yield and if she couldn't pump 6oz, she should quit breast feeding and switch to formula. 

:o :o my dd gained 13oz in 2.5 months once (between 7 and 9.5 months) I freaked out, as she'd started above 60% and was then around 3%. The dr shrugged his shoulders and said "well, she doesn't look malnourished to me". He was right! I'm very glad you realized your friend's HV's COMPLETE RUBBISH about the 6oz pumping thing, this is utterly, gobsmackingly ridiculous! How many people bf fantastically but can't pump for toffee?

Here's a link to a nice letter I found from a mother with a low weight gain perfectly healthy baby:
http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBJanFeb98p8.html

Good luck to you Molly, you sound like you've got your head screwed on your shoulders and you and your LO are doing just fine. May you have a long and happy breast feeding career. Keep us posted as to how you're getting on.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 10:58:01 am by lisi's mum »
Katie

Offline RachelC

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2007, 10:59:49 am »
Molly,

I wouldn't rule out that she isn't getting enough milk.  Have you plotted her growth on the WHO charts?  If indeed she is dropping off the growth curve drastically, then there may be concern.  My doctor is currently concerned about dd2's weight (based on the old formula charts) but when I plotted her on the new charts, she was a perfect 15% all the way (instead of dropping off the charts).

Offline Bryony

• Showing Appreciation 141
  • We're in London, UK
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2007, 12:26:38 pm »
Molly - I completely agree with what everyone else has said - and as Amanda says, getting past the first week of BF deserves a medal in my books!

I just wanted to add that I really would not put much meaning on what you can get in a yield. I can only usually pump 2oz at a time, but my LO seems to be growing fine on whatever she gets out of me (she's on the 9th centile so quite small, but has been there since she was born so no-one seems to be concerned). She only has 6 feeds a day so I am sure she is getting way more than 2oz each time!!  She won't take a bottle unless she is absolutely ravenous, and then only 1-2oz, so I have no idea what she does take.

Hang in there and go with what feels right to you. I see about 5 different health visitors and they all tell me completely different things...!

Bryony

You only really know what love is when you become a parent

Offline Fiver

• Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2007, 12:31:35 pm »
Rachel - I've had a look at those WHO charts before.  I've printed one out this time and plotted DS's weight gain over the past 4 months.  He started off just above the 50th%ile and is now lurking out in space below the 3rd%ile line.  His length is following up the curve beautifully, just below the 3rd%ile line.

The paed so far isn't concerned, but I'm still wondering whether I'm producing enough milk.  I tried pumping today with an electric pump while I was feeding DS on the other side.  I only managed to get 1.5oz.  Would this mean that's only a bit less than he's managing to get out?

Sorry to hijack your thread, Molly!
*** Amanda ***

Offline RachelC

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2007, 13:15:26 pm »
Amanda,

So, has he been at that percentile for a while now?  He may just be leveling off there... especially if his height is there too.

As far as pumping being any predictor of what Callum is getting from you, ignore it!  Callum is WAY more efficient than ANY pump EVER will be .  Rest assured that if he is gaining weight, producing wet diapers, lasting 3-4 hours between feeds, generally content, he is doing fine and getting enough milk.  Getting 1.5 oz while feeding on the other side is wonderful!  Pumping can be very stressful.... especially when you're watching it saying "c'mon milk, where are you"  ;)

HTH

Offline Fiver

• Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2007, 18:01:20 pm »
Rachel - thanks!  That's reassuring!  We'll see how his weight has gone when we see the paed again next week.  As for today and feeding, it's probably not a good general indicator as he's had his 4 month jabs :(
*** Amanda ***

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Showing Appreciation 188
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2007, 19:39:34 pm »
Weight gain definitely tends to slow down after 3 months- but as long as your lo is still going up and not losing weight, and the other signs of a healthy baby are there, I think it's important not to panic - like a pp said, it's often your lo finding his or her comfort spot on the curves!
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline Bryony

• Showing Appreciation 141
  • We're in London, UK
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2007, 19:44:39 pm »
Molly - just realised I read your post but didn't answer your first question - why the % breastfeeding drops after 3 months...!

I think it's partly as this is when many women go back to work, and partly as it's a bit of a milestone for anyone finding it difficult / inconvenient ("I'll do it for 3 months then give up...").  I know lots of people who BF for 3 months and they were in one of these two groups.  None of them were due to concerns about weight gain... 

Personally I feel as though Katie and I only just got the hang of it around 3 months so we are defnitely going to carry on...!

Bryony

You only really know what love is when you become a parent

Offline Molly2

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2007, 19:35:59 pm »
Rachel & Katie

Just wanted to say thanks again for all your fabulous advice.  I change my feelings towards this weight issue about 3 times a day.  Tried to get an extra feed into her today (in between the 3 hours) as thought it might get some extra cals into her.  Was going good until time came for her next feed and she wasn't overly interested aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh!!

Katie - I'm off to plot her weight/height on the who charts.  Funnily enough my two sisters and I were very skinny as children (in fact one of them at 28 is still Kate Moss size).  My DH was also small growing up so I keep reminding myself of this.

Thanks so much

Molly
Molly

DD Feb 2007
DS Jan 2009