Author Topic: Stopping Dream Feed and BLW  (Read 1159 times)

Offline Cornish smiler

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 7
Stopping Dream Feed and BLW
« on: July 02, 2007, 20:04:07 pm »
Hi, I wonder if I can pick you brains please!  I am on the 2nd week of doing Baby Led Weaning with my just past 6 months old son, Sam.  He isn't eating huge quantities by any stretch of the imagination, but he is definitely eating the solids himself (as evidenced by his nappies!)  I give Sam a dream feed at around 10.30 and he takes around 3oz or so and during the day he has 4 x 7oz bottles.  As he is taking so little at the dream feed, should I start to think about dropping it, or just keep going until he's taking more solids on board?  Not sure how I would go about dropping the dream feed as he has so little Tracey's theory of dropping an oz and adding an oz to daytime feeds wouldn't quite be appropriate for him.

Any ideas?

TIA
Ali

Offline matthewsmama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 89
Re: Stopping Dream Feed and BLW
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 13:22:58 pm »
I would say add up the amont of ounces he is eating during 24  hours, including solids, it should be 2 ozs per pound of weight.  You can try and see if he will sleep the same amount even  if you take the dream feed away.  If it doesnt work, he might just need those 3 ozs to fill up.  Hope you both  sleep well , whatever you decide, Christie
Christie

Offline Cornish smiler

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 13:34:21 pm »
Thanks very much - I actually bit the bullet and didn't give him his DF last night and he slept all night long!!!  I didn't - I woke up at 4.00 expecting him to call for room service but he never did lol!!
Ali

Offline * Paula *

• Showing Appreciation 426
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007, 19:05:53 pm »
That is fantastic news.

Keep us posted how the next few nights go.

Some lo's don't miss the feed at all.

Paula
Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007

Offline Cornish smiler

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 19:20:16 pm »
He was fine again last night and, thankfully, I slept better too because I wasn't permanently waking up waiting for him to start yelling for his milk!!  I've upped his daytime formula to 8oz instead of 7 - sometimes he takes it all, but I'd rather there was extra there for him seeing as how he's missing his extra 3oz at 10.45.  Having said that though, he's eating more solids and ends up eating his dinner at around 6 (going to try to make that earlier), then I have to try and give him a milk feed at 7, so it's a squeeze to get more into him.  Did 6oz tonight before bed.
Ali

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2007, 19:23:47 pm »
Thats great news Ali.

If your lo is having a milk feed at around 7pm before bed, you might want to try and have dinner at around 4:30 - 4:45pm, and then he would probably be ready for his bottle at around 6:45ish.  This worked well for us, and our DS always ended up draining an 8oz bottle.

HTH's

Offline Cornish smiler

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2007, 19:26:16 pm »
Thanks Paula, that's what I'm aiming to do - I need to get dinner ready for as soon as my husband gets back from work with my daughter Zoë and we can all eat together.  Sounds good in theory doesn't it!!!!
Ali

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2007, 19:45:59 pm »
It does sound good in theory - let us know how you get on.