Author Topic: Comfort 1 Formula vs SMA Gold  (Read 13031 times)

Offline vbeck

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Comfort 1 Formula vs SMA Gold
« on: July 01, 2007, 21:14:29 pm »
Hi.....

Was wondering if anyone has switched from SMA Gold to comfort 1? My Baby is on SMA Gold but seems to have a cry after most feeds and around tea time it just gets worse, i can sometimes distract him for 5 mins but then it starts again, a bath will calm him but as soon as his out, he starts again! Ive ordered the next flow teats so will see if they help, ive tried infant gaviscon as he was showng signs of a reflux but this hasnt made much difference so ive gone back to infacol but have read on many boards that changing his formula will help? Only problem with the comfort 1 is, ive read that once its mixed, it has to be used withing 1 hour? is this right or can it be refrigerated because i normally make several bottles with SMA Gold and refrigerate them?

Sorry so many questions? Basically can Comfort 1 be refrigerated for a few hours after mixed?

xxxx :)

em_here

Re: Comfort 1 Formula vs SMA Gold
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 08:12:22 am »
I used comfort milk (cow and gate right) with DS1. I made mine up and put them in the fridge as normal.  It is meant to be less aggravating to their tummy, and being thicker would be less likely to reflux, although the same can be said for SDMA staydown. My dd has reflux and gaviscon she has is used in conjunction with zantac, if your babe is crying a lot after feeds could well be silent reflux maybe you could ask your doc about meds for it to trial. In the meantime good luck with the milk change and hope it helps. BTW Comfort milk has less lactose to reduce aggravation to babies tummy so poos can look very much like breastfed babes poos HTH a little xxx

Offline vbeck

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 17:19:22 pm »
Thanks..... ive been to Tesocs today and read the back of all the formulas and they all state that each feed should be made as and when needed but this is such an inconvenience, especially in the middle of the night!  Most Mums ive spoke to have all said that they make several at a time and store in the fridge!

I was just worried in case it caused mt baby more upset?

xxx

em_here

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 17:27:40 pm »
Thats a very new thing, to make up individual feeds, as stated by the dept of health etc... I do not believe many mums will make up the feeds individually as they will have been doing them and putting them in the fridge, know that I do, and will continue to do this. If you do not want to you can always do the other thing I do, make up bottles of water for 24 hr worth of feeds and then leave them on the side, add the powder and warm and feed as required. Safe AND quick!!! HTH a little

em_here

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007, 17:30:31 pm »
Oh yeah and another thing is you may require a faster flow teat, as the milk is much thicker than normal milk xx

Offline * Paula *

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 426
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2007, 19:01:06 pm »
Good luck with trying the new milk - let us know how you get on.

With regards to making up the feeds before hand.  It is perfectly fine to do this and store them for no longer than 24 hours.  Once your baby has actually started to drink from the bottle, this particular feed should be disgarded within 24 hours.

It is perfectly fine to do as some meds that you add to formula i.e. Colief needs to be mixed in the formula at least 4 hours before a feed.

HTH's

Paula
Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007

Offline Ennypen

• Showing Appreciation 1033
  • My family x
    • my facebook
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2007, 19:06:21 pm »
I used Comfort.. wonderful wonderful formula that I will use from birth with LO 2 if I have one!! If you do a search for comfort or omneo comfort on this site you will see me raving about it and talking about it lots!

I used to make them up at night and then use them all the next day with no problems. As is uses hot water rather than warm or tepid water for mixing its really hard to make it up just prior to feeds so making them up in advance and popping them in the fridge is by far the best way to use them.

Offline vbeck

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2007, 20:33:39 pm »
Thanks for all your replies, he has just had his first bottle with comfort and i don't know if its because his always a bit more relaxed around bedtime but he took it alot easier, alot more relaxed, no fussing or spitting, id also added the colief drops, i noticed when i tested the temp that it wasn't flowing as fast (ive ordered the next flow teats) but he didn't seem to find it a problem! His wind come up fine and his tucked up in bed now fast asleep!

Im not holding my breathe cause i might have just had a lucky evening, lets see how things go tomorrow cause its in the day when he seems to fuss/cry more!

Ive made 6 bottles up, added the colief and put them in the fridge, thanks for the reassurance!

xxxx

Offline Ennypen

• My family x
    • my facebook
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2007, 20:59:43 pm »
Persevere with the Comfort -  I bet you wont be too disappointed. I too had a very colicy little boy and I met with the opinion that he would simply grow out of it and I shouldn't change his formula.. I was using aptamil at the time! One day when I was in tescos I saw the Omneo Comfort and it sounded perfect for William so I used my mommy sense and went ahead and put him on it.

For about 2-3 weeks we had very smelly, green nappies and lots and lots of egg smelling trumping which I was told is normal and almost immediately the colic started to vanish so I persevered. In next to no time William was transformed. He hardly spat any milk back, we had no back arching, crying or any sign that he was in any pain. The wind could escape and started to become less smelly and became "normal" amounts for a LO.. I have to be honest I would recommend Omneo Comfort to anyone who has a LO with colic or digestion troubles - its been fantastic for William.

I will say is its certainly best made up the night before as I mentioned. As the instructions say its best made with fairly hot water so its difficult to use as some mommies do where they take the bottle of water out with them and mix in the formula as the feed is needed.

I also changed my bottles soon after this to the Dr Browns Bottles - now called B-Free. They are briliant too as they stop the LO swallowing so much air as they feed and they make it wasy and smooth to drink the formula from the bottle. With Omneo comfort I found that I could still use the number 1 teats and have worked up through the stages as normal.

http://www.babybfree.com/

Its good to hear you are using colief.. be sure that you dont add it when the water is too warm or it can stop it working. I used it for Woo even with the Comfort which has already got reduced Lactose in it and was really pleased with the effect it had.

If you need any more info or support making this change just shout xxx

H x

Offline dani2806

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2007, 22:04:05 pm »
Hi,
I've always used Cow and Gate Organic (hard to find but I really wanted an organic option). I've always made the feeds as needed but used Evian water instead so it's really easy. I spoke to people in France and everybody does that, they don't use cooled boiled water at all.
I don't know if this helps but anyway, I wish you all the best.
Dani

Offline Wife and Mummy.

• Showing Appreciation 31
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2007, 22:12:06 pm »
I didnt think babies were allowed bottled water untill 1 year? ???
samantha,mum to all.

em_here

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2007, 09:27:20 am »
I thought it had to be cooled boiled tap water, I was under the impression that bottled water could contain nutrients that could be harmful as the levels are too high, plus it is not sterile  ???

Give me a virtual ticking off if I am wrong?!  ???

Offline Ennypen

• My family x
    • my facebook
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2007, 10:40:40 am »
In situations where you feel that using tap water may not be safe - even if it is boiled... for example when abroad - using Evian is perfectly fine. Evian contains far less of the minerals that can be harmful to LOs than any other mineral water.

My health visitor recommended this as William was sick every time I visited my parents as the change in tap water effected him badly. Using Evian when I was at my moms (I still boiled it) saved him a lot of tummy aches!

H xx

em_here

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2007, 10:42:45 am »
Thanks for the info, so if i ever got stuck, boiling it is fine? Thats good to know, funny how things I thought were wrong are actually OK! xxx

Offline vbeck

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2007, 11:35:40 am »
Reply to Ennypen.....

Thanks for all the info, very much appreciated and has reassured me about changing formula!

xx