Author Topic: Can newborn overeat?  (Read 4257 times)

Offline nselim

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: July 26, 2007, 12:25:46 pm »
Hi,
My 2 week old seems to be overeating. My dr said his weight gain is already more than 10% his birth weight, something I attribute to the fact that he wants to suckle to sleep, effectively meaning he is eating more often than the 3 hour schedule I have him on. Yesterday we got a bit worse: he decided he wants to suckle THROUGHOUT his sleep, waking up in a hysterical fit in the middle of his sleep demanding my nipple be reinserted in his mouth.

He seems hungry every 2 hours or so during the day generally speaking, but i'm concerned about his supposed "overeating". Worse, he has become very fussy lately as he tries to pass either wind or stool (which is very often), which I have been told is strange, since he is exclusively breastfed. Can his tummy be grumpy just as it gets used to the increasingly large quantities of food it is receiving?

His dr advised me to stick to a 3 hour schedule to discipline him and NOT to feed him so frequently. Also, he advised me to let him cry it out in his crib to get to sleep. Against my better judgement, I tried that once, and it just broke my heart and I couldn't do it. Since (about 5 days ago) I've decided to feed on demand and just let him sleep in whatever way he seems happiest since he is so young, but things seem to be getting worse, and I fear I am already very deep in accidental parenting habits that are getting worse day by day.And now I'm worried that my demand feeding may be contributing to his over eating, causing his tummy to be so painful. My baby was a quite very patient baby when he was first born. Ever since I tried that cry it out session a couple of days ago, things just haven't been quite the same. He will scream much more easily than before and seems to have lost his sense of patience and trust with me..I'm fealing like I really messed this up..

Please help..

Offline Mariek

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 225
  • If the Beatles had read Hunter
    • My Blog: Protect The Cookie!
Re: Can newborn overeat?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 12:46:23 pm »
Hi hun

I'm not a BFing expert, but I'm pretty sure that Overeating is not something you need to worry about with BF babies. If anything I'd say that the fact that he's gaining weight so well is a GOOD thing and a sign of a good milk supply.

I suspect from your post that he's not actually eating the entire time he's on the boob, but is using it for comfort (using you in lieu of a pacifier/dummy).

I am  :o at your doctor for suggesting a 3 hour routine for a BF 2 week old to "discipline him"?? WTF?? At two weeks old babies need to feel regularly - sometimes every hour, sometimes 2 hours, some can go to 2.5, I don't think there are many BF babies that could go 3 hourly at 2 weeks (but I could be wrong, all babies are different).

With regards the CIO (cry it out). Tracy's methods can give you tools to get your baby to sleep independantly without leaving them to CIO. That said, 2 weeks old is a little young for sleep training (we started pat/shh with our DD for naps and night time at about 3.5 weeks and even that was quite early). At 2 weeks they're still adjusting to their new surrounds, and you're still adjusting to them!! Don't be too hard on yourself for the AP at the moment. Take the time to see to your babies needs (which will mostly be eat sleep and poop LOL) and to bond with your little guy.

I'm sure some of our lovely BFing ladies will be along with more advice but I just wanted to post some bits and pieces, and offer some {{{{HUGS}}}} and to tell you you've come to the right place!

love
Marie

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Showing Appreciation 188
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 12:56:04 pm »
Hi and welcome to the boards!

OK....can I just ask if you can get a new doctor?? >:(  I'm sorry, but he seems really clueless. I'm not one to generally criticise docs because they usually do the best they can, but it really seems like he's giving you bad advice.  Sorry to be so blunt, but:

1. Exclusively Breastfed babies CANNOT be overfed or overeat.  They take what they need.  If they're hungry, you feed them - especially when so young!
2. Don't stick to a 3 hr regime if your baby is hungry earlier - you do not "discipine" a baby's eating habits!  ESPECIALLY a 2 week old!
3. BF babies can have wind and gas just like bottle fed babies - this whole eating thing is new for them and it can take a while to get the hang of it.  Also, if the latch isn't quite right, they can swallow some air, which can lead to discomfort.  It's NORMAL!  :)
4. The fact that you're even on this site suggests you don't agree with CIO, and I can't imagine CIO with a 2 week old.  It's just cruel.  They don't understand that when you're gone, you still exist - they haven't reached that developmental stage yet.  They cry because they have needs!  Tracy believed that when you let them CIO, it breaks trust and it can cause some serious rebound insecurity - that could be happening.

Honestly, it sounds like you're more sensible than your doctor.  Have you read any of the Babywhisperer books?  Starting EASY is about reading cues - we don't usually talk about feeding on "demand", but rather feeding on "cue" - you learn to recognise when your baby is hungry, so you're not feeding all the time, but when he needs it....and sometimes 2 week old babies need it every 2 hrs.  

Here's a link on starting EASY:
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=64627.0

Hugs and let us know how else we can help!
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline nselim

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 16:15:25 pm »
Thank you all for your support, it is really good to know i'm not completely losing it.

Few more questions along the same lines:

If he naps for longer than 2 hours during the day, do i wake him up for a feed so that he doesn't go without a feed for longer than 3 hours?

What do I do to break this continuous suckling need? He doesn't take the pacifier easily, and if he takes it to nap, he expects it in his mouth during his sleep or he will scream in the middle of his sleep. My nipples can't take much more either, and in the middle of the night it is simply exhausting beyond anything I expected to try to keep my nipple in his mouth during the entire night.

I've become afraid of his next nap session, worrying about it even before he wakes up from his current nap. I know he is using me as a pacifier to sleep, but it is getting to the point where I can't honor his request anymore if i'm gonna keep my sanity..

I did read one of the baby whisperer books (BW Solves all your problems), but I didn't get the sense that the techniques Tracy described didn't apply to a few week old. Some of the headings were classified as Under X months, so I assumed so long as he isn't a premie, he fits the category.

Thank you all once again..

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Showing Appreciation 188
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 16:47:47 pm »
You're definitely not losing it!  :)

Babies need to suck.  Some more than others...if he's using your breasts, I'd be inclined to work on the paci more - less painful for you!  I'm not an expert on pacis and sleep though, so you might want to check the sleep boards.

Yes, the idea is that if he sleeps more than 2 hrs, wake him for a feed - even in the first few weeks, you generally want to aim for at least a 3 hr EASY, if not more frequent feeds.  He's still so young....just try to get to know his cues and a routine will start to establish in a few weeks.  Sometimes adding swaddles, patting and shushing can help with sleep too so that maybe he won't need the paci so much...?

The Babywhisperer Solves all your problems does apply to a few weeks old - in getting started and reading cues.  The main emphasis right now is establishing your milk supply and making sure he's eating well, though.  You'll get there! :)
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline Lydiasmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 18:48:38 pm »
I just want to add that I wish I had found this site as early as you have.  You will get great support and advice.  Trust me, in a few months time you may be the one giving brand new moms a few tips!!

At such an early age, he will be going through growth spurts etc and will need a feed way more frequently than the 3 hours your doc advised.

My DD doesn't have a dummy as I think I was too late trying to introduce it,  (tried at about 8wks when I read Tracy's books explaining the need to suckle) so as pp suggested persevere if you are happy to.

Good luck
x